• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help locating a part

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
89 ranger with no cruise control and no tilt steering column.

my horn only works when i turn the wheel to the right.. and there is some contacts called a "horn brush" that are worn out.

i can't seem to find these ANYWHERE.

if anyone knows that im talking about and where to get it i'd appreciate if you spread the knowledge.

these contacts can be accessed by removing the steering column covers and its right under the steering wheel with 2 wires coming off it

d_m234

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
junk yard, i just had to get one of those too yesterday, horn works great again. the two wires end at a plug at the base of the dash board, just remove the fuse panel and its right there, unplug it and take the screws out and install one from the junk yard. just make sure the springs and pins are in good condition from the donor truck.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
junk yard, i just had to get one of those too yesterday, horn works great again. the two wires end at a plug at the base of the dash board, just remove the fuse panel and its right there, unplug it and take the screws out and install one from the junk yard. just make sure the springs and pins are in good condition from the donor truck.
i just found out ford has them new for $50.. what a rip off

there is only one local junkyard and they don't have it so i think i'm going to have to add some solder to the pins or sand down the mounting block so it sits closer.

im also thinking it might work to just take one of the wires off the horn button and ground it straight to the steering wheel and add a better ground somewhere on the steering shaft.

this is how its done on 67-72 ford trucks and probably some others, they have a grounding strap on the ragjoint

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals