• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My Rig is Getting a Refurbished Engine

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Two weeks without her and it will likely be another week.:shok:Bumming rides suck after a bit :shok: (I almost need the whaaaaaambulance!:bawling:)

The timing chain rattled-on at idle and up in RPM a bit, compression test revealed that number 3 was down 30lbs (It came back up with oil (Rings going in that cylinder). There was a noticeable miss when first started cold and with 169,000 miles, I figured the heads needed redone at least. With these 4.0 SOHC, you might as well do it all once you pull it, heads, timing stuff and rebuild the engine while it is out.

So being in class solid for two weeks, needing a cherry picker and timing install kit, it made sense to me to get help with it. The take-out and install is $1,200 and the refurbished engine is $2,800 with a 6 year, 60,000 mile warranty. Not cheap, but I want a good reliable rig. It was hard for me to let go and have it done rather than DIY as I have for 30 years.

She'll be back stronger than ever, hopefully by the end of the week.:headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang::headbang:
I would have planned and likely gotten a rebuild installed myself over a long weekend................................................................But I will be going on assignment for 20 to 30 days straight, maybe longer, soon, and needed it done.:icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
At least you got it done before something let loose. The last one I did at the shop was hydrolocked.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, Yah, I caught it before a head or the block got wacked. The report is a clean engine and two slightly burnt valves..............................................

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:yahoo:

I got 100 miles on the new engine. It is still in break-in and I expect it to loosen-up soon!

It sounds good, pulls good, and picked-up 2lbs of vacuum at idle.:beer:

DoorKicker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I went through this in March with my sons Ranger.

It was starting to knock and I figured it was gonna crap out any day.

I was in Advanced Auto and they were having a March Madness sale, everything 30% off. I asked about engines and the lady behind the counter says "I don't know but we can try"

Well it worked and I got a new crate engine for $1200 and even got Military discount which took care of tax

Had it installed for $850 and spent a bit more on new stuff (water pump, plug wires, belt, power steering)

For about $2500 he has a new engine with 3yr warranty.

Funny thing is, a few days later my buddy tried to go in and get the same deal and the website had been updated...

"Due to additional required specifications, this item is not available for online purchases or discounts. Visit your local Advance store to order this item. See our Store Locator to find your nearest store."

Apparently I wasn't supposed to be able to get the 30% off and they fixed it after my order went through...:icon_thumby:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I went through this in March with my sons Ranger.

It was starting to knock and I figured it was gonna crap out any day.

I was in Advanced Auto and they were having a March Madness sale, everything 30% off. I asked about engines and the lady behind the counter says "I don't know but we can try"

Well it worked and I got a new crate engine for $1200 and even got Military discount which took care of tax

Had it installed for $850 and spent a bit more on new stuff (water pump, plug wires, belt, power steering)

For about $2500 he has a new engine with 3yr warranty.

Funny thing is, a few days later my buddy tried to go in and get the same deal and the website had been updated...

"Due to additional required specifications, this item is not available for online purchases or discounts. Visit your local Advance store to order this item. See our Store Locator to find your nearest store."

Apparently I wasn't supposed to be able to get the 30% off and they fixed it after my order went through...:icon_thumby:
Lucky you LOL. The engine in my Bronco 2 has the dreaded upper end rattle and it smokes pretty bad as well and the only real option I see is a replacement engine as well. Except they're not cheap, and right now I don't have the stuff to do the work myself...and shop labor is extremely expensive. I do have a good friend that I'm sure wouldn't mind doing the work on the side for cheaper than a shop, but don't have the extra funds right now for the engine LOL.

Glad you got your replacement engine for a reasonable price....looks like they're in the $2k+ range now. Autozone has a $150 rebate on a couple of their engine options right now which would take care of the core charge on one of the engine options. I really don't want to turn in the engine block I have now, I'd rather keep it and slowly rebuild it over time but don't want a huge amount of downtime if I get to do the replacement. Really enjoy driving my Bronco 2 so if its down I'll have serious withdrawals LOL.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals