• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My old truck sounds like... an old truck

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Long story short, I bought a 93 3.0 last April, tore it down to the frame and finally have it back together. The truck runs fine, got the timing set, seems to have plenty of power (definitely more than my 2.3), but any time I accelerate it makes an loud, annoying "chugging" sound. Just like in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lT3FMd520dw

I can hear it coming from the floorboards which is why I think it's exhaust related.

I did not do anything wild with the engine while out, just replaced the timing chain/gears and new gaskets, and it does not make the noise at idle nor revving in neutral, only when there is a load on it.

Now for the exhaust work. I did replace the rusty stock muffler and intermediate/tail pipes with a Walker Quietflow SS muffler and Walker pipes. I have a new donut gasket at the cat and used clamps on the pipes at the muffler. I also have new exhaust manifold bolts and gaskets. When I pulled the engine I disconnected the manifolds from the heads but left them connected to the Y-Pipe and Cat because those bolts are pretty malformed now. I can't see any holes in the Cat, Y-Pipe, or Manifolds.

What am I missing? Is the Walker unit a crap muffler? Should I be looking for something on the Engine? Or are the 3.0's really that loud?

tcranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988 and a 1986
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo and a n/a
Transmission
Manual
in the video that is an exhaust leak. so if yours sounds like that git under the truck and feel around the exhaust for a leak then weld it up

Diesel Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If your having trouble finding the leak, wait till a realy cold morning and right after you start your pickup a lot of condensation should be pouring out of the exhaust, just glance into the undercarriage and look for steam........

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. After I posted that I ripped out the headers, y-pipe, and cat, cut out the cat studs, and re-gasketed and reconnected it. Still loud but as it warms up it quiets it down a bit, so it might be a crack somewhere.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals