• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My OL' Red Project.......

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
looks like your windshield has small crack, and what is with fog horn lookin thing there? Looks like your battery and engine compartment could take a visit from a pressure washer and a wire brush:icon_thumby:

samsonitesamsonite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Jeep
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you want to run 38" boggers with a 302 on stock a stock d35 and 8.8?!

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
looks like your windshield has small crack, and what is with fog horn lookin thing there? Looks like your battery and engine compartment could take a visit from a pressure washer and a wire brush:icon_thumby:
A small crack to say the least..... that horn is a pa hooked to the cb so I can hear it outside the truck while I am hunting......and yes, this weekend will consist of a lot of cleaning...:annoyed: as I said it has been a hunting truck...

I have been running either 35 boggers or 35 swampers for the last 8 years on 4.56 gears to a 7.5/d28 setup just fine...have busted 2 ring and pinion sets, that is all.....you don't think d35/ 8.8 setup can't handle 3 more inches worth of tire.....keep in mind I don't drive like a maniac.....:icon_hornsup:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
Looks like a great conversion so far. What are you running for a tranny? Is that a roller 302 or a regular flat tappet motor? Definitely get in there with a pressure washer and some degreaser. If you have access to warm water, use it. It really helps with the degreasing. Our pressure washers at work use warm water and it makes engine shampoos alot easier.

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
^^^^^thanks....using a c-4 with c-5 endhousing........old 302 block.....

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
That is going to be a good solid truck when you get it all finished. Be patient with the project and yourself. I'd sure hate to see the project end because you got frustrated with some of the stupider details of this project. Have you got all of the swap parts?

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
^^^Man, I've been nervous as heck ever since I pulled the motor out......Even more so probably after Sun. when the guy comes and picks up the 2.9....there will be no turning back then!!!!! But I don't think now I would even try to put it back in if I wanted to, ya know?
I've got most of the swap parts: motor brackets, oil relocator, trans. will be done hopefully by sat., wiring harness for distributor, shifter and carb. is in the mail, headers (if the pinto 302 headers will fit).......All I've got left to get I think is fuel regulator and what I'm going to do about a radiator (I'm keeping the pump in-tank and regulating it down the right way)

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

i used to run 33" boggers on a d28 and 7.5, buddy of mine ran 38.5 hawgs on his exploder with a 35 and 8.8 and never broke, guess its just how ur luck runs

Maverick

FoMoCo MoFo
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
^^^yea, it was......man, that was a while ago.....now it's got 35/15 swampers on it....it sure looked a lot better back then.....I have been using it for coon hunting, hence the 9ft. whip antenna-ha-ha...
The only reason I remember it is because I liked it so damn much. It was the same truck I had at the time and still my favorite body style. It's good to see it still kicking around. Good luck with your build :icon_thumby:

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
^^^Man, I've been nervous as heck ever since I pulled the motor out......Even more so probably after Sun. when the guy comes and picks up the 2.9....there will be no turning back then!!!!! But I don't think now I would even try to put it back in if I wanted to, ya know?
I've got most of the swap parts: motor brackets, oil relocator, trans. will be done hopefully by sat., wiring harness for distributor, shifter and carb. is in the mail, headers (if the pinto 302 headers will fit).......All I've got left to get I think is fuel regulator and what I'm going to do about a radiator (I'm keeping the pump in-tank and regulating it down the right way)
"the point of no return". That's a nervous time. Forget about what you removed and concentrate on getting the motor and trans installed. As for a rad get a rad out of a gen 1 Explorer (91-94) that was an automatic. I'm midway in a teardown too and no matter how many times I do it, there's always that "oh shit" element:D

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
little update:Got some things done this weekend that wasn't picture worthy:
1.Finished the transmission rebuild, the c-5 tailshaft changeover worked out great.
2.Cleaned and degreased the engine bay, nice coat of gloss black spraypaint.
3.Got the shifter (Hurst promatic 2) sat it in, gonna look great.
4.Extended the 4x4 shifter, something I've been meaning to do since the body lift was put on 10 years ago,ha.
5.Replaced the leaking front output shaft seal on transfer case.
6.More to come...........

Last edited:

lil red

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow,i wish i had the time and money for a project like that
awsome truck man,good luck

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
Went home at lunch today and bolted up the motor and transmission and starter. Will attempt to get it set in the truck tonite......:icon_thumby:

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
got the motor and trans. set in but the c-4 is about 4 inches closer to the front than the 5 speed was....I will have to move my crossmember forward....Is this normal? I will have to lengthen my driveshaft if this is the case......

rangerslim

July OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
more pics tomorrow....getting late:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

25th Anniversary Merch

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals