• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My new DD/tow rig since my ranger's motor blew up.

Cheeks

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thats a beautiful truck, before I bought my ranger I was looking for one of those to make into a woods truck. Gotta love diesel, I drive mine everyday and its a tank

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
And it keeps getting better and better. I spent about 4 hours tonight reading up on running WMO as fuel (waste motor oil).

FREE FUEL!!!!!!!!!:yahoo::yahoo::headbang: :icon_bounceblue::icon_idea::icon_surprised: :headbang::yahoo::icon_twisted:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can run 10-12psi on those motors and use it all. The high compression is the limiter. Gets too hot if you fuel it past that. Besides that, the Standyne DB2 pump will limit you to 250hp/450ft#.

I hated my truck before the turbo went on it. It goes from dangerously weak and loud to smooth and quiet (relatively) and powerful like magic. Around town isn't too bad but as soon as you head up the on-ramp with that 160hp and an 8,000# trailer--you'll be bending the steering wheel like a Bull Worker and spitting out teeth chunks.

Nastilly Asspirated diesels are deceiving--they are really snappy on the throttle and give you a feeling of immense power. The reason they are snappy is because there is extra oxygen already in the airstream becaue it doesn't have to burn near stoichemtric--when you step on it all the fuel that is injected can be instantly burned as there is no need to wait for the air to accelerate as there is when you have a throttle plate. But the party is over pretty quickly when you need to get real horsepower out of it. The turbo takes some of that snappiness out of the throttle, but it comes on like damnit when the turbo starts pumping new air into it. I would get a turbo on it asap. My first kit I bought new from Gale Banks. When I switched to this truck I was dismayed to find none of the parts fit so I bought a used kit on Ebay for a few hundred bucks and used the turbocharger from the other truck because it was newer. I'm sure you could do as well.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
So for shits and giggles, how'd ya think an M112 blower from a lightning would wake up a N/A 6.2?

-andrew

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For some reason blowers aren't common on 4-stroke diesels. I think the V903 in the Marine's Amtracs had a roots blower and a turbo on them in one version. I think that there is so much exhaust coming out it's just a no brainer to capture that instead of adding the complication and drag of a blower. A turbo and a diesel just belong together. But if you can get it on then use a 10-15psi blow-off valve and keep the fuel down enough to not exceed 1,100F EGT. The 6.9/7.3 is a physically tougher engine, but they use the same injection pump and when they are turbo-supercharged can both burn up all the fuel that pump can give out and so make the same power and torque. The 6.2 will come apart before the 7.3 would though, no question. But I downshift when the EGT goes over 1,000F and go as fast as I want. The torque makes the heat so when you downshift and use the gears for torque it cools it right down and you don't really trade anything off.

I have a 1988-2000 body-style turbo kit. What is the 6.2 in?

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
I installed the hydroboost system last night.

The truck stops freaking great now! I can lock up the brakes with out effort and that was not possible no matter how strong you were before.

Last edited:

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I don't know what mentally disorganized person at Ford decided it was a good idea to put vacuum assist brakes on those. GM had hydraboost on all HD pickups, not just diesels. Was it a belt driven vacuum pump? Good place to add an airpump or something now maybe.

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
Yes it was, The only other thing that it runs is the vent door actuators, which are actually kindof important if I need to defrost the windows. (Though it takes about a 30-40 minutes for it to warm up)

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1988-2000 body-style turbo kit. What is the 6.2 in?

It's an 86' K10 with 3/4 ton axles geared 4.56 and running 35's. It's running an NV3500....I know the tranny seems a lil light but it's held up so far and the gearing helps to take a load off the tranny. The buddy of mine that owns it is throwing a decent set of injectors in it, and getting it all cleared away maintenance wise, timing chains etc. I ran the blower idea past him and he seemed a lil enthusiastic, lol.

Now that I'm done thread hijacking, the solid axle under that truck makes it almost bullet proof. Might also want to add a lil more fluid to the ZF as their downfall was baking the output bearing when fluid runs a lil low.

-andrew

Last edited:

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Mercon/Dextron III spec fluid is what is advised by ford. Lots of guys on the fullsize forums have had luck running GM synthetic tranny fluid as well.

-andrew

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals