• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

my 96 explorer 5.0 swap

ak96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey guys, i havent been here long but i thought i'd share my long term project. i was 14 when i got my explorer in 2003. it was my aunts truck new, then my grandpas company bought it in '97 for the same price they payed new..they couldnt pay for it. anyway for from '97-03 it was driven by a company exective he was let go and the truck sat in the parking lot. i worked myself a good deal and picked it up. its a '96 limited 4x4 4.0 ohv it has every option but the 5.0 in it..sadly my aunt cheaped out when it came to that lol so thats the story behind my truck..

since i started driving it in early '05 (once i got my licn) i've been "ok" with the power from the 4.0 OHV but for the heavy explorer its pretty slow. the truck has had 2 trannys..one at 80k another at 107k miles. on my last rebuild i had him do everything he could to beef it up HD TQ converter and shift kit along with some other mumbo jumbo. i now have 122k on it and i just dont trust it.

earlier this spring(may) to be exact i came across a '97 explorer eddie 5.0 AWD for $600. the truck had 230k miles on it and slide sideways into a tree thus totaling the body but nothing else. the lady really needed money and didnt know what she had. i quickly bought the truck, then drove it out of the junk yard it was sitting in and all the way home 100 miles lol.

so...* the plan*
rebuild everything, the motor, trans, t-case. all new sensors and accys radiator..ect

cam, headers, 1" upper intake spacer, 1:6:1 roller rockers, xcal 3 tuner..other possible odds and ends. i'll also be swaping in 4:10 axles from a later model explorer.

since i have the donor truck it should make for alot less possible headaches when it comes down to it, i'm hoping. i'm pretty much copying the v8 swap of a friend of mines '99 explorer sport he did his about a year ago.

the donor truck a '97 eddie 5.0 awd with 230k on all orignal parts (mfg date of 8/96)

my '96 limited as she is (mfg date 12/95)

4.0 OHV

this will be a long slow process as i save money and buy stuff, but i thought why not start somewhere w/post..it might help me keep track of whats going on also. sorry for such a long post its late and im tired but thought 'd share.

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I think you on the right road.Just take your time and take one step at a time.You will get there.Keep us posted like to see how it comes out

Spdrcer34

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
WOW...I thought you fell off the face of the earth when you got banned from the Explorer sites....

I like the new paint scheme on the X, looks a bit like the old school So-Cal Speed Shop paint scheme, but with Green instead of Red...

Nice to see you are still around...

Ryan

ak96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
WOW...I thought you fell off the face of the earth when you got banned from the Explorer sites....

I like the new paint scheme on the X, looks a bit like the old school So-Cal Speed Shop paint scheme, but with Green instead of Red...

Nice to see you are still around...

Ryan
haha! thanks!

some would love for me to have fallen off the face of the earth, but i havent. i've def grown up some going on 20 now own my own auto detailing business and keep moding the explorer as much as i can. thanks i did the paint myself and my thought was kinda copying the '03 harly f-150s style paint..either way im hapy with how it turned out.

i hope to start tearing into the donor truck here really soon and get everything sent out to be rebuilt... :D

ak96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i'm getting all my part numbers in order right now...i had my buddy eric whos been running this set-up on his '99 sport explorer with a '00 mounty 5.0 in it for a year now with great reasults.

all part numbers from summitracing.com

Ford Racing valve covers M-6582-E302P
roller rockers Proform 66879
1" intake spacer TFS-51520020
COMP Cams 611-16 LOCKS
CCA-986-16 SPRINGS
CCA-740-16 RETAINERS
CCA-35-349-8 CAM

in the next 2 weeks or so i'll start tearing into the donor truck getting things taken out to get rebuilt.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals