• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 87 Ranger I will be restoring soon I want to keep track of my progress and add information as I find it.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Yours looks a little different, but I had the same problem with my sender. Mine was supposed to have a cover over the arm pivot point. I keeps the arm in contact with the circuit board to make the gauge read.

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Look at the contacts where the swing arm travels. Mine was wore out in the middle and I had to slightly bend the arm so the contact was hitting the inside more where it wasn’t worn out. Seems to be working good now.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I tried to do the "Quote" and somehow it does not work for me. I am a computer idiot. I post pictures with my phone and edit thru the computer at a later time. Gives me a chance to correct mispellings and other errors.

SenorNoob... Do you know where you got your Fuel Pump Assembly or Brand name? I got one from Rockauto and Oriellys top name brand and both are cheap plastic. I am thiinking of seeing if I can fine one in the bone yard and replace pump on it but too is most likely orn out.

Awsome-O..Next time I have the bed off I will give that a try.

RobbieD.. I did look up the earlier dash bezels. Those would be hard to find. I have a few non replaceble parts and I will keep that on my list when I am in the bone yards.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Happy Easter everyone. Yesterday I spent most of the day cleaning and re organizing the shop and the Ranger did not get any attention, but it was shop time and really enjoyed my results. Hoping to get out in the shop and do a few things before church and then after we have some family things to do but hope to get some small things done after family.

My goal was to build this truck for around $6000 including purchase, probably won't miss it by much. Monday I am having my front end looked at for alignment. I have my Steering parts, but I am sure I will need Suspension parts and should of rebuilt it earlier in this build.

I will let the body filler sit for a month or more to dry and shrink. I will take a few days off from work to disassemble truck, remove door handles, locks...final sanding and filler work, paint, and re assembly. Painting is a big job.

The following is somewhat the order I am going in the next steps and gives me an idea of what to order next. front end rebuild, body bushings, fenders,carpet,headliner,AC,paint,window seals,exhaust pipe,windshield,stereo,wheels,cruise control,receiver hitch.

Last edited:

Awesom-O

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Don’t feel bad about computer stuff. I just wish I knew how to post pics like you guys full size vs the thumbnails I post in my thread? Lol.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If on a computer at the top of the attachment area there's a blue button to insert all pictures as thumbnails or full image, similar button shows up to the right of the individual pics after they have been uploaded.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello Awesome-O. I post pics from my phone. The way I do it click on the little picture icon next to the smiley face. It will ask you from photo library, take a picture or Choose File. I go to my photo library and post from there.

You click on a picture from your library. Top Right you click Add. The first one it will load up full screen. To do a second or more picture you have to hit the Attach Files button. It has a paper clip.
On the 2nd picture hit the Full Size and it will load it.
I post a picture and when that picture is fully loaded l hit the Return button and add my description of the picture. Same for 3 rd picture hit Attach Files wait for it to load and then hit Return and add description. When done with comments and pictures hit Post Reply. Most likely you will make mistakes. I do. Then I go to computer, hit Edit and correct mistakes.

I have no idea how to get pictures to computer. Why I have to use phone and go to computer.

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Scott90ranger. I too don’t know how to get pictures to computer other then email and then not sure how to get from computer to thread. Thanks for helping.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2419.jpeg

Actually, a bit of bad luck turned to good. I had an Alignment shop to check my front end. He said Passenger Side Tie Rod could break with one good bump. Scary. I eased home and changed Tie Rod. He said my Ball Joints and everything else does not need replacing. Actually everything else looks great as far as Suspension and Steering. Saturday I get two new front tires and Alighnment.
IMG_2421.jpeg

More good news. When I replaced my Fuel Pump Assembly,I tilted the bed. I’m guessing I jammed the float all the way up. Today I was on 1/4 tank. I wanted to see what 5 gallons of gas would do. I moved it to 3/4 tank. I am going to wait until I hit 1/2 tank and see if my gauge goes to Full.

More good news. On a Bronco2 Facebook page a guy in Missouri has the Outlaw2 style factory rims for sale at $100. I posted I would buy them. It is a 3 hour drive. We talked on phone and he will wait 2-3 weeks for me to come get them. Wahoo!!

Last edited:

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2418.jpeg

My bed is completely resting on the frame. I was under truck and seen Body Bushing are cracked. I plan on replacing them in hopes of a smoother ride and to make cab and bed lines even.
IMG_2420.jpeg

In long term I am hoping new Body Bushings will give me clearance to run 31 in tires.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome-O. I have tried to look up peoples builds that follow me. I have not figured it out. If you can leave a link in my thread so I can follow along. I like to help others along on their projects where I can.

Anybody else also please leave a link to your thread so I can follow.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
What I do to transfer pictures from a phone to a computer is plug a charge cord between the two, go to file explorer and navigate to the phone, there should be a DCIM folder on most phones, from there most will be in the Camera folder, navigate to what you want to copy, click the first, hold the Ctrl button on the keyboard and select however many you want to copy, right click on one of the selected files and select Copy then paste them somewhere on your computer you know how to get to.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Fuel pump/sending unit was in my truck when I got it. I have no idea where it came from.

For pictures, I upload to Imgur. No cost hosting for as little as I use. They have and android app that can be used to upload and at least on PC have pre-made IMG tags for use on forums.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks scotts90ranger... I will have to have one of mykids to show me that. They will have it figured out really quick.

Hello SenorNoob.. I will look intoImgur. Befoew Photobucket went crazy on their price I could post a picture quick. I will look into it.

I am looking into yours guys builds here soon.

Terrys87

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
IMG_2436.jpeg

I got a couple of 2024 parts on my truck. I replaced the wipers. It still has the factory windshield in it with the union sticker on the passenger side. I think I am required to replace a windshield once every other year. Wife’s car we have only had a year or so and some 4 chips in it now. This truck only has one chip.

My cracked headlight finally gave up the ghost. Been cracked a while but still worked. While removing the grill, the plastic piece on the headlight box is broke on both sides. Previous Owner did not know you have to remove blinkers to get access to lower mount. Not sure if Gorilla Glue or 2 part epoxy is the better way to fix. Also missing to bezel screws so will be going to bone yard soon. Add that to the list.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals