• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 3.0 ranger's motor lost oil pressure and locked up, new motor help!

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was driving on the hwy and I lost oil pressure. I pulled off, checked my oil, oil was fine. So I figured the sending unit went bad. So I drove on it. It started shaking I went to pull off and it locked up and no longer turns over. I am going to buy a rebuild or a new engine. What should I buy and what should I look out for?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
sounds like your oil pump croaked.

I would grab a 3.0 out of a 97-99 Ranger/B3000 in a junkyard... This should be a pretty straightforward swap, and you can get a decent engine for 500 bucks, maybe another 100 or 150 for someone to install it.

If you go the route of installing it yourself, these years should go right in with minimal issues, maybe a sensor or two might be a tad different if you go 97 or 99, but nothing major.

I would spend some extra bucks and redo all of the gaskets while you have the motor out of the truck, and it probably wouldn't hurt to replace the oil pump and pickup screen too.

AJ

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think I'm going to go the route of buying a rebuild. So I know it will hold up. Do you know of a good company? Are some better than others?

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Dont know of any company offhand... for a rebuild I think I would go local to you. at least you can walk in the door and cuss the guy out to his face if he botches the engine... for anything that you have to have shipped, it can really be a hassle getting any warranty claims done.

Plan on spending some serious cash.. 2-3k worth. I would still get a junkyard engine out of a tboned Ranger/B3000. many salvage yards will let you watch the engine run before they pull it from the wrecked truck, and will offer a 12month warranty on the engine.

remember, you have a 15 year old truck, it is probably only worth 4k in great condition...

AJ

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I get what your saying but also Iv got a brand new transmission, rear-end, driveshaft, and many other new parts. At this point I think its worth fixing up right

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
with all of that new, you are probably right. As I said, I would look for local, at least they will be easier to get to honor any warranty work. you might ask around for anyone who does engines for the local race car drivers, at least you will know that they are more than likely experienced in what they do.

The other suggestion is to go to Ford and get a longblock and swap your intake and other stuff to the new engine.

AJ

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If you have an o'reilly's parts store around, they will sell u a long block about as cheap as anyone, I priced a '77 351/400 modified from them and it was slightly over 1200 with my discount... couldn't rebuild it myself for that- the best part about them is the no-nonsense warranty. Someone else builds them for o'reilly's but reputable and good warranty.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I found one they claim has 61,000 miles on it for $700. Is there anyway of me buying it with out the chance of getting screwed lol

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Southern your best bet is do some searches online. Go on ebay...in the past I did searches and found companies who sell used motors with a guarantee. In 2001 I bought a 88 chevy 4x4 and the motor turned out to be junk...I did a lot of searching and reading before buying a new 350 since it was cheaper than rebuilding the one I had the right way. I'd be leery of a used motor without a guarantee unless I heard it run first.

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I found one they claim has 61,000 miles on it for $700. Is there anyway of me buying it with out the chance of getting screwed lol
I haven't looked but I'll bet you can do better- car-part.com is a network of yards and I haven't been screwed using them yet. But- ALWAYS buy a carfax account, get the vin off of the junked vehicle, and check it before you buy. I've caught a lot of yards lying about the mileage. The last engine I bought was for a customer's PT cruiser, '03 and had 10,128 miles verified... got it from LKQ off of car-part.com's website. That engine was immaculate...

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As an update, I look on that website you told me about, I found a motor picked it up that day and had the truck running within 3 days for around $800

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Thanks for the follow up, I'm giving you an atta boy for handling the situation. Sounds like a good outfit. I'm not a recreational gambler. I gamble too much in daily life. These days there is no sure thing with parts. Not with used, rebuilt or even new. Used is prolly the best bet. It worked at one time. :D

Just curious, did you ever figure out what killed the original engine?

Last edited:

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nice. Find a nice low-mileage unit? That website kicks ass.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The guy said he didnt know the millage but he said it was tested and has a 30 day warrenty, It was a huge risk but the truck runs better than it ever has :yahoo:

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the follow up, I'm giving you an atta boy for handling the situation. Sounds like a good outfit. I'm not a recreational gambler. I gamble too much in daily life. These days there is no sure thing with parts. Not with used, rebuilt or even new. Used is prolly the best bet. It worked at one time. :D

Just curious, did you ever figure out what killed the original engine?

Most likely this:
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/camshaft_position_sensor.html

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals