• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My 1991 ford ranger 4x4

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
It is not legal in your area. Emissions are a FEDERAL law, that means it applies to any US state or territory and it is a federal offense to do cat deletes.

If you do it please do not post about it here. Forum rules do not allow discussion of emissions tampering.
oh ok i was told it was legal around my area i had no idea it was federal

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
"legal" and "no one checks" are completely different things that get confused a lot...

Combine that with not gaining power (literally like maybe 0.5% power increase) from deleting a cat unless the cat is melted from having a misfire for a long time and it's not really worth the trouble...

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
"legal" and "no one checks" are completely different things that get confused a lot...

Combine that with not gaining power (literally like maybe 0.5% power increase) from deleting a cat unless the cat is melted from having a misfire for a long time and it's not really worth the trouble...
my only honest excuse of doing what im doing is only because im a teenager that likes my truck loud lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
V6 engines don't sound good uncorked completely, if it were me I wouldn't want the annoying canned fart sound that everyone likes to do to Honda's... If you want cheap and loud, get rid of the stock muffler and put in a cheap Thrush welded muffler and leave the cats in place at least to try (easier, no pipe changes necessary this way). I don't know if Thrush still makes the welded baffle type muffler but it's a cheap knockoff of a Flowmaster 40 I think, it sounds good on my turbo 4 cylinder at least... when I got mine in like 2010 I think it was under $40 but looks like they're in the low $50's now

Not trying to pee in your weaties :), I want the youngins out doing fun stuff and making things, there's two ways to learn and I encourage both :). Big fan of the second gen (the real second gen, '89-92, I don't listen to naysayers... :)), I've had my '90 for 23 years now and won't get rid of it, I've made it what it is and it's what I want it to be, what it won't do my next rig will do but they'll be for different stuff...

All I'm saying is maybe leave the cats in for now, it's a passive system that you "shouldn't" know is there power or noise wise but does convert noxious gases into less dumb stuff (turns extra oxygen, fuel and other exhaust components into water, CO2 and some random nitrogen mixes), the more we make a semi honest attempt at keeping that stuff in place the more they "might" leave us alone, not that politicians listen to the general public but we don't need to give them ammo either...

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
well i finally got tired of busting stock hubs so i broke down emptied my wallet (happens fast at my age with no job due to school) and bought a set of warn locking hubs in my opinion they should not be $425 for the hubs and a spindle lock nut kit but it is what it is i guess. also picked me up a 1990 ford bronco with a 2.9 auto transmission with a dana 35 front (along with the same hubs i just bought :mad:) it runs and drives but it runs horrible they sait it has a blown head gasket but theres no water in the oil and no oil in the waters so idk ill make a thread just about it later. but thats just a lil update since its been awhile.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals