• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mustang 8.8

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
Ihave the chance to get the 8.8 out of a 96 mustang, just wanted to know if the axle is worth grabing to put under my B2? also if anyone can give me any info on the axle.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's possible to make it fit, but would require lots of work. The shock mounts are completley different, and the mustang axle has the dif in the center, rather than offset, so you'd have to shorten one side of the axle tube, and one axle. I'd just keep your eyes peeled for a Ranger 8.8.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i'd get one out of an explorer.. can get 4.10's, lsd, disc brakes, and 31 spline..

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
It's possible to make it fit, but would require lots of work. The shock mounts are completley different, and the mustang axle has the dif in the center, rather than offset, so you'd have to shorten one side of the axle tube, and one axle. I'd just keep your eyes peeled for a Ranger 8.8.
i know i would have to rework the shock mounts and put spring pirches on it. but i dont see why i would need to shorten the axle its self as the b2 axle is only off set by 1 and 5/8 inches. I also understand i can get the explorer 8.8 but the mustang 8.8 is free and has disk breaks. so what i really would like to know is if any one knows of any real weaknesses of the mustang 8.8 compaired to the ranger 8.8

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What year mustang is it out of? If it's newer than a fox body, it's probably going to be a few inches wider than your current rear. You may be able to run the dif in the center, but you'll go through U-joints like crazy, because the rear dif and the trans won't line up. If you keep the rear off set like your stock rear, and don't shorten one side, you'll have one tire that sticks out further by 1 5/8 in, which could cause tire fitment issues, and would look ridiculous.
To answer your question though, the guts should all be the same between the mustang and ranger 8.8. It's just the dfferences in the housings that might give you headaches.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
What year mustang is it out of? If it's newer than a fox body, it's probably going to be a few inches wider than your current rear. You may be able to run the dif in the center, but you'll go through U-joints like crazy, because the rear dif and the trans won't line up. If you keep the rear off set like your stock rear, and don't shorten one side, you'll have one tire that sticks out further by 1 5/8 in, which could cause tire fitment issues, and would look ridiculous.
To answer your question though, the guts should all be the same between the mustang and ranger 8.8. It's just the dfferences in the housings that might give you headaches.
thank you for the info. and it is out of a 96 mustang. so are the ranger and explorer diffs offset as well?

dla

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ihave the chance to get the 8.8 out of a 96 mustang, just wanted to know if the axle is worth grabing to put under my B2? also if anyone can give me any info on the axle.
Bad choice. One out of a 96 Explorer is what you want. Depending on your model, an axle from an FX-series Ranger would be the easiest swap.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bad choice. One out of a 96 Explorer is what you want. Depending on your model, an axle from an FX-series Ranger would be the easiest swap.
Why out of a '96' Explorer and not say a low mileage 2000 or 2001? He's got a BII so aren't they all the same width?
Dave

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the ranger and mustang axles are 28 spline and the same diameter as the axle shafts in the 7.5 you have now. the only thing you'll gain from the swap is the 8.8 ring gear.

it would take the same amount of work to put that axle under your b2 as it would to go find an explorer 8.8 and use that. the explorer 8.8 will have 31 spline axle shafts, they'll be thicker than the axle shafts in the mustang/ranger 8.8

plus, 95 and newer explorer's came with disc brakes

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
plus, 95 and newer explorer's came with disc brakes
This is true, but they're also about an inch and a half wider than a newer ranger rear axle, and the newer ranger rear axles are about an inch and a half wider than the older square body rears. That means a 95-up explorer axle would be around 3 inches wider than his factory rear axle. That may be an issue for some people, and it may not, but he should atleast have all of the facts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals