• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Muffler Placement

Slipknotyk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Has anyone ever tried modify the sound of a vehicle by changing muffler locations, installing resonators like Flowmaster Hushpower, and stuff like that?

I'm looking to buy a 92 F150. I want a totally custom exhaust that's not like anything else. I'm looking at Hedman Headers Shorties with 3" collectors, PaceSetter MetalCore race cats, an H-pipe up by where the Y would usually be, and true duals. By where the old muffler would be, I'd put 2 Flowmaster Hushpowers. I'd put Flowmaster Super10s out back and 4" tips. It's an expensive exhaust because of the sheer number of parts involved. I just wish I could preview the sound before doing this. I was looking do do the same on a Ranger, but I'm glad I didn't buy one because I'm in need of a larger truck at this time.

Has anyone done anything like this? Other than the spare tire, is there any complication that could make this kind of exhaust impossible?

Runnin'OnEmpty

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger EDGE
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did something similiar on a Bronco a few years ago.
The primary muffler was a chambered type, possibly an
Edelbrock (can't remember), but it was too loud for me.

Instead of exchanging mufflers, I installed a Flowmaster
race muffler in front of the primary muffler. The FM
was very short and fit just fine, and it gave the exhaust
a quieter and very unique sound.

With Hushpowers, I don't see a problem with backpressure
since they're straight through types. As long as they'll
fit, I say go for it. What you're planning should give a
very quiet exhaust with a good tone. Personally, I like
a good exhaust note and not just a loud one...

Slipknotyk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I do plan on building the motor which is why I'm looking at 3" full length. I love the tone of the Flowmaster Super10s, and the Super10s are tiny.
They're 6.5" long X 9" wide X 4" tall with 3" single in/2.5" dual out. If anything, the backpressure would be created by the Super10s rather than the straight-through Hushpower IIs.
I'm wondering how deep the actual tone would be. I also don't want something that's going to attract police attention while still passing emissions. I live in Denver, CO and emissions can be a pain.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Keep in mind if they have to lift the hood all the smog has to be there including the cat/s. Here in WA if you fail the sniffer they pop the hood and removing the cat is against federal law. You can gut the cat it just has to be there but you will not pass the sniffer.

Slipknotyk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's why I was going with racing cats.

1. Stock cats don't mate up to my headers with 3" collectors (stock is 2.5", I believe)
2. Even if I went with gutted stock cats and headers that mate with them, it doesn't pick up as much flow as going with 3" racing cat and the larger headers.
3. While just throwing out the cats entirely is illegal, there's no law against replacing "defunct" emissions equipment. A cat is a cat, they don't have to know the purpose of mine. All they need to know is that it's there, and that it "works".

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals