• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

mpggggg

gordo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I-4
Transmission
Manual
Measure the inlet "snorkel" !

I was reading this thread and I think you may be overlooking a real issue with intake air restriction. That "snorkel" that comes from behind the headlight on my '08 XLT is tiny. There is also a rubber deflector flap that's out behind the headlight bucket - probably because of the wiring harnesses passing through the same access hole. All this stuff is ahead of the filter element.

When I get some down-time, I am going to take that assembly completely out and take some measuements, etc. If it's as restricted as what it looks like initially, maybe putting some holes through the bottom of the air-box, ahead of the filter element, would get more air through the filter.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
the factory snorkel isnt smaller than the factory TB. that rubber deflector is to keep water out of the intake and engine compartment. think about this...engines with more HP sell better. if increasing the output of these engines was as simple as increasing the size of the factory snorkel (which would cost the same for ford to manufacture either way), they would have done so. theres a reason its the size it is.

drilling holes in the airfilter box allows warm engine air to enter the engine. warm air is less dense and thus produces less power per stroke...meaning your engine makes less power and you need to get heavier into the throttle to maintain speed...thus, less economy.

jax4bangin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
was that focus running fuel with ethenol?? iv herd that that stuff kills mileage

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
like i said, i saw focus' all day long (i was a service tech at a ford dealership here in town)...it wasnt just one car.

they dont make a flex fuel 2.3...so no they werent running ethanol.

gordo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L DOHC I-4
Transmission
Manual
Snorkel measurements

The "snorkel" (Part # XL2U-9A675-AA) measures 1.793" ID on the inlet and 2.301" ID on the outlet (air-box side).

So, it's 2.52 sq-in inlet and 4.15 sq-in outlet. That's 36% less area at the inlet of that snorkel. That will restrict the air-flow.

This is a 2008 and has an altogether different cold-air set up that my other (older) Ranger. I am glad I took this apart because for a company so intent on making sure I have max-horsepower they hadn't done a great assembly job. The plastic "push-pin" on the left side of the rubber inlet boot was never pushed into the hole in the sheet-metal cowl, so the boot had dropped and it was partially blocking the snorkel. The other side of the snorkel was allowing plenty of engine compartment air into the air-box. This is why it looked so strange to me initially and I wasn't able to pass anything through the snorkel-tube and out to the space behind the headlight. I thought that there must have been a screen on the front of the snorkel-tube. At least it's put together correctly, now.

milje

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've made the trip from my parents house to my apartment at college on less than 2.9 gallons of gas before (filled it right to the top because I didn't believe it was full), it's a 100 mile trip. Not sure how much more gas that was than just letting it click off, but figure it at 35+ mpg. Truck is bone stock except for a tonneau cover. It's really hilly on the drive up, no nice flat ground, 60 mph except for slowing down for towns.

I've only done that once, a few times I got low 30's, usually around 29.

crazypj

Reaction score
Altamonte Springs Fl./Bridgend South Wales
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Best I ever got was 34mpg at around 60~65mph. had about 400lbs in bed and passenger (coming back from NH, awful lot of cops in Maryland)
Had a tarp over bed, pulled tight so that may have helped?
The weight only makes a difference if your going uphill or pulling off, when its moving, its moving.
Only dropped to 23mpg coming back from Pennsylvania with 4 Honda CB360's in the back (about 1600 lbs+) braking was 'interesting'
It ain't that far to Florida :icon_rofl:
'Normal'? driving, 27~29mpg.
PJ

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals