• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

more power?

liner80

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger super ca
Transmission
Automatic
I know this topic has been beat to death, but I have not found the answer I am looking for. I have a 01 ranger 4x4 auto with 4.0 SOHC and 4.10 (I think). I am looking to get a little more power out of it. It is my DD and take off power is find but passing power is lacking. I have about 500 budget and am looking to pick up around 20 hp. with bolt ons. Is this poss. I was thinking under drive pullys and JET modual, but I wanted to get the folks with the most know hows opion. So what is the best way to get the power I want. The truck is stock at this time, but I plan on cranking the torsion bars and puting on 285/75/R16 in the near future. Thanks for the help.

Josh

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
cat back exhaust and SCT tuning. Jet is crap. skip the pulleys the power vs cost vs install time isnt worth it

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i disagree entirely on the pullies. underdrive pullies are simple, cheap, and provide a noticeable kick in the pants. a much higher power-to-cost ratio than, say, headers.

my only caution is to stay away from the pullies if you do any amount of heavy towing, as they DO lower your cooling system capacity.

keep in mind that putting larger tires on the truck is going to make it feel sluggish again. you can regear to help compensate, but you still have more rotating mass, which means slower acceleration.

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
freekin 4.0 with 4.10s should feel like a rocket.....damn kids and there new trucks.....one of my ranger with 3.73s and 235s was fun...dropped a 4.0 and 32s with 3.73 and i was way more fun

air intake may help...smaller tires....bigger TB...but rember you havea truck not a little front wheel drive crotch rocket honda car....

ckblum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Yea you should be able to waste those honda jokers. I waste civics in my 3.0L 2wd reg cab, I wanna get an 8.8 rear though so I am gonna find something with 3.73 or 4.10.

I don't really know why you would want anymore power than you have now. You already got the SOHC 4.0L and 4.10's, like stated that should she already be a rocket. Maybe if you had a 5 speed you might get a bit more power to the ground.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You can't feel a horsepower. Example: which wins the 1/4 mile, a fully loaded 747 or a 350 HP Mustang? The 747 has over 1000 times the power (and LESS than 1000 times the weight -- they are only some 350 tons at max takeoff, and more like 100 tons empty).

If you want acceleration for passing with an automatic transmission, your best bet is a shift kit. Don't screw with the engine at all; it isn't necessary. Gears work very nicely (but they DO NOT affect power!), but it's expensive, especially on a 4WD. Or maybe you need to adjust the kickdown?

The only things you should be messing with on the engine for the goals stated is replacing BROKEN parts or making other repairs.

chittybangbang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I hear that the tornado works really well.I bought one because Sam Mammolo told me so.:D

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
A shift kit will help a little by firming up the shifts for quicker response but when your passing a car and need more power the shift kit aint going to help you. Gears just multiply torque to the wheels and at 4.10s I wouldnt go any higher and its not helping you in the upper revs when your trying to pass a car. You will need more power for that. bolt ons will only get you so much power and it will take quite a few to help you do what you need. A power adder would be the way too go for gobs of power that will wake the 4.0 up and make passing and hill taking a cake walk. those cost $$$ money however. with the larger tires and lift you plan on installing it will slow your truck down farther than a tuner and a few bolt ons can help. So you may just want to stop passing everyone unless you want to fork over some dough.

Last edited:

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a good tuner can also do wonders for improving and tightening up the transmission shift points without even opeing up your toolbox.

woodyedmiston

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Take your $500 and buy a CD at the local bank. Drive your truck around with the OD turned off. You'll feel better and be richer. It is not rational to try to "buy" horsepower on a budget. Sludge is right about the tuner - maybe spend some money there - but if you just gained 20 horsepower you would not find it that usable or noticeable.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
zmax....:icon_rofl:

whatever happened to that stuff?

what about the fuel line magnet? or the fuel tank "pill"? :D

Bryan22

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 extd
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
94 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I saw some b.s about a pill you drop in the tank to get Twice! "yes that's twice the fuel mileage, one simple pill. only 3 EASSSYY payments of 19.95 for a years supply! Proven to work by doctor harmonica of this great university!" P.S. they took gullable out of the dictionary. I know this has no useful info for you liner but wicks post just made me think of that. haha.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals