• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Modding Mishaps: post your blunders

RegularGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Haven't seen a thread like this before, thought it might be fun... What are some of the things you've regretted doing to your ranger?

Modifications that didn't work as intended, took more time than they were worth, or cost more than they were worth.

Personally, my biggest screw up came about from being cheap. I traded my 15" wheels and tires for someone else's 16's... TPMS went with them rather than paying to have the tires remounted. New sensors cost more than the mount and balance would have been (the ones I got in the trade are dead)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I pulled the seats out of an old car recently, to add more foam to the cushions and clean under them. Broke two bolts, one on each side.

I might end up just tack welding the frames back to the floor instead of spending all weekend trying to get the rusty bolts out.

Mightyfordranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3in
My credo
Clean your room before you criticise the world.
Oh dear I'm not sure I want to talk about this hear.....I have lost so much money on cars over the years... Bad frame cars other people's projects. My own blunders... Oh how I have paid lol

If I had all the money I lost on cars I could prolly own like a 10 sec BBF swapped 1st gen. Or I could buy most of a new ranger. Had to have been 10+ grand easy.

But I learned a lot doing it too so idk if it was worth it.🤔

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The worse, most expensive one for me was regearing the original 7.5 on the 1998. The short story is I ruined a Torsen LSD and burned up the pinion bearings.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I cant remember any really bad blunders....
But I'm sure someone will remind me!
Maybe oldtimers is a good thing?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Spent a month trying to graft the firewall plug from a 2nd Gen onto the original dash harness for my 87. At the end nothing worked and I spent another month rebuilding a second harness.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Not so much a booboo, but a mistake...
In my younger years bought a Bug Eye Sprite, the one that had no trunk lid, but you accessed the trunk area by flipping seats forward.
Of course, over the years, water had been allowed to gather and pool in the trunk area.
Didn't really go over it when I bought it (inexperience as what to look for)
Went to strip it out to refinish and found the entire floor pan, from seats back, was totally rotted out. Nothing but paper thin sheet of rust with fist size holes. It needed an entire new sheet metal floor from firewall back to rear bumper.
Being in collage with no funds to have new floor installed, sold it for parts.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

Tried to convert an "XLT" grill to an "EDGE" grill

Spoiler Alert: Didn't work.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought a 2001 MonteCarloSS at a dealer in the year 2017 for $6000. Preceded to spend another $2000-3000 keeping it running for a year. Then spun a bearing, sat for a couple of years, put a junkyard motor in it, so probably close to another $1000 in parts. It had been sitting too long and now needed new brakes and an exhaust, another $1000. So now I'm at least $10,000 into this thing, so I give it to my brother. Now he is probably got $1000 into it trying to keep it running.

We joke that all the money and labor we have into that thing we could have just bought a new mustang.

OGdr

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I tried every way I could to get the dealer installed stripes off the doors on my 87. I ended up using a sanding disk on an angle grinder and before I knew it I had took it down to bare metal

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I bought a reasonably nice '85 F150 while I was in college. It was kind of a unique truck - extended cab short box 2wd with a HO 351w and a C6. I knew it had some steering issues and I discovered that it would only steer in one direction, and to complicate matters, if you tried to steer the other way it would make the high pressure power steering hose explode. I went through and replaced the pump and steering box but nothing seemed to help. Over the course of several months of working on it, the starter gave out and I needed to move to a different house and had no way to get it across town. I ended up selling it to a towing company for like $50.

Years later I found out that it was common for the frame to crack around the steering box and it would flex while turning and cause this exact issue. Being a very inexperienced mechanic at that point, I had no idea what I was looking for anyway but I could have fixed it pretty easily had I known that. I still kick myself for getting rid of that truck... hopefully someone was able to fix it but I suspect it probably just got crushed.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
When I did the duraspark swap I thought I would be crafty and keep the stock e coil. Hotter = better right?

I was kind of a newb and I also left the computer in it. Didn’t really track what all was still going to it. 2.8 ran great (ignitionwise anyway) from 06-11 when I did the V8 swap.

Post V8 swap every once in awhile it would cook a coil and/or the ignition module. Internet says they are not made as good as they used to be yadda yadda so I got one with a good warranty and just keep trading them.

Broke out my Ford shop manuals, poinpoint voltage everywhere, spacered the module up so it could get airflow under it, moved it ahead on the inner fender so air could directly blow on it, added a resistor the main power wire for the module, added a ground wire to ensure the distributor (which normally just grounds where it mounts on the block) to make sure it had a good ground... got nowhere. Then I started chasing loose ends in the wiring... Ah ha! The computer is still getting a tach signal! I bet that is it! So I eliminated that and trashed the computer.

Then I would get approx 15 min before something died. :temper:Like right after I did it I had it was idling by the garage and it cooked the new module, I couldn't have killed the module any deader with a 30-06.

Google eventually saved me when after years of searching I found ONE guy on the whole interweb that mentioned the e coil doesn’t have the right resistance and will kill modules. Apparently going in the computer added enough resistance to the tach signal that it would take longer for the ignition stuff to get hot. And the 2.8 with fewer tac signals + the computer allowed the ignition to still function ok.

I put in the round Duraspark coil and it has been faultless for like three years now. I have put more miles on it the last two years (going to Southington and Badlands) than I ever have any two years prior and it has not missed a single beat.

It really burns me because I know back when I was still rocking the 2.8 or therabouts I know another member (@Twister, I can't tag him for some reason) was cooking ignition stuff and I guarentee it was for the same reason. But I unknowingly had the computer still in line to keep it working and he didn't.

PAYDIRT!

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I cut the roof off of my ranger to install a "superdome"...then promptly broke the superdome.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My worst mistake was shortly after starting at the dealer in 1975 when I was working on a customers new F100 with a knocking 360. I had the pan off to mic the rod journals, ordered standard blue (.001" undersize) bearings and went to the next item on my repair order. I turned the key on to check out a wiper problem and heard a pop. Early Durasparks could fire intermittently if the key was on without the engine turning, the "pop" was the engine firing and slamming the crank against a disconnected rod cap, driving it against the pan rail on the block and cracking it. I went to the showroom and personally told the owner of the dealership what I'd done. He was far less pissed than I was. Shortly after that the old guy who did PDI's had a new Bronco in reverse with the key on to check the back up lights, he was almost back to the door when it fired and started, dragging him across the shop and slamming into a 120lb drum of grease. 76 and earlier Durasparks would fire if the key was on and you tapped on the distributor, too.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I cant remember any really bad blunders....
But I'm sure someone will remind me!
Maybe oldtimers is a good thing?
That's me as well. Been modding cars, trucks and motorcycles since around 1979. I really have no recollection of any bad blunders. I suppose all the money I've spent in all these years is the blunder. LOL!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals