• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Misfire caused by faulty rad. cap?

6herald6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Driving to work the other day my '05 Ranger began to idle rough and engine light flashing. I noticed the coolant reservoir overflowing but the engine was not overheating at all. At the shop I saw that the rad. cap was in bad shape and the #5 plug was foul.

What I don't understand is that I'm told the #5 injector must be replaced, and so the big repair bill is coming because the plenum needs to be removed to get to the injector.

So, I'm wondering does a faulty rad. really cause a $600.00+ repair bill?

Fred

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
No, something is out of whack with that. A faulty radiator cap could cause the coolant to overflow. But I question the faulty injector, just because the plug fouled doesn't mean the injector is bad. A bad plug wire or faulty coil can cause that.

Sent from my kite using a trebuchet

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The injector is the LAST thing I look at when dealing with a misfire, unless I have a code for the injector circuit.. I usually start with a coil and plug, on a system like yours I would throw in the other 5 plugs and a set of wires too.

If it is the injector the intake does need to come off to get at that one. Sorry, no way around that.

As for the loose rad cap causing the misfire, it didn't. Much as people like to deny the existence of the phenomenon, especially in relation to vehicle break downs, coincidences do exist and do happen. This is one of those times.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The entire intake doesn't need to come off, just the upper intake. That's a relatively simple procedure.

What I'm wondering, if coolant was gushing out of the overflow, is the head gasket blown? When my sister's S-10 did that, the coolant ended up being polluted with combustion products. Head gasket was blown, allowing combustion pressure into the cooling system, which pressurized the cooling system, causing it to bubble over at the overflow tank.

Faulty injector would not cause this problem. It would cause a misfire, but not coolant gushing out of the reservoir.

Faulty radiator cap would likely just prevent the system from attaining the 15 psi that cooling systems run at, which raises the boiling point of the coolant. If the system doesn't attain that high pressure, the coolant could overheat while the gauge shows everything to be normal, because the boiling point is lowered as the pressure lowers. Also what type of fluid you have in the system pays a part, especially if all you have in there is water (hope not, but people do do that).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals