• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Mazda B2500 help! P1451 P0340 Not starting!

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Iv got a 2001 mazda B2500. It is my old beater truck. Its a 2wd that we threw some 35s on the rear and had a blast at the last mudding event. Now I water proofed all the sensors but managed to miss the camshaft sensor and crank shaft sensor. I was running at high RPMs in a mud hole and the truck just stauled and wouldnt restart. Theres nothing wrong with the engine... (no bad noises, oils clean). It origonaly threw a crankshaft sensor code. I changed it and then it threw a camshaft sensor code. Any suggestions? I dont want to put a bunch of money into this thing changing random parts but id hate to have to scrap it. Both the cam shaft sensor and the crank shaft senor where coverd in mud inside and out. Should I change the cam shaft sensor too? Or is there something else I could be missing? :icon_confused:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.5l engine

Usually the Camshaft sensor(CPS) isn't need for start up, it is used for fine tuning the fuel/spark timing.

The Crank position sensor(CKP) is needed, it tells the computer that engine is turning over so turn on the spark and fuel, no CKP signal = no start.
It can be test with an AC volt meter, it's two wires should show about 1vAC while engine is cranking, it generates its own power via magnetic inductance.

I would put a timing light on engine and see if it is throwing a spark at the right time or at all.
I would also try some starting fluid in the intake to see if it fires, if it does start and then dies fuel is the issue.
There is a device located behind the passenger side kick panel(usual location) that disables the fuel pump, the inertia switch, it prevents fuel from pumping out after an accident, if that "mud hole" cause a sudden deceleration that could have activated that shutoff switch, it has a reset button.

I assume you washed all the mud off the engine and gave it enough time to dry out.

code P1451 is EVAP System Canister Vent Solenoid Circuit Malfunction
You can test it with an OHM meter, the resistance should be 48-65 ohms.
Shouldn't cause a no start

Code P0340 is CPS problem, the CPS is located behind the oil pump pulley, should pull out by removing two bolts, and doesn't usually fail, what does happen is the wiring gets damaged as it passes around the block.
Shouldn't cause a no start, but can't say for sure on the 2.5l engine/PCM

Last edited:

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I changed the crank shaft sensor. I checked the inercia switch. I tryed spraying starting fluid in the intake. I didnt clean the engine bay yet, but it has been drying out for a week. I didnt think that would make a difference. I even changed the plugs and the smelt like fuel so its getting fuel and I pulled one of the wires off the coil pack and and watched it spark so I blieve Iv got spark. Iv never checked voltage or timing before or really anything eletrical before. I figured the next step would be the camshaft posittion sensor but its $60 on a mabye

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I still cannot get it to start. Its getting fuel and spark. I changed the cam sensor and the crank sensor. Could it be a timing issue? What should I do?

snake

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
could have thrown the timing belt. Start with basics, check fuel, spark, compression and timing. You should pull the timing cover off and check the marks next...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is fuel and then there is FUEL
There is spark and then there is SPARK

I would get a can of Quick Start or similar starting fluid, ether in a spray can :)
Spray some in the intake then turn over the engine, if there is any spark engine will fire, if not then you don't have SPARK or don't have spark at the right time, get a timing light to see how far off it is.
If it fires then dies you don't have FUEL.

If it fires and you get blow back out the intake or a back fire then timing belt may have slipped, valves are not in sync with pistons.
Compression test will tell you better.

Southenrfirewood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for the delayed resonse! But IT was a timing belt. We where staring at it and my buddy goes WAIT A MIN. Turn it over. HELL! Your timing belt isnt moving! Being the first time iv changed one. 6 hours later she was running again! The next mudfest is friday!!

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for reporting back :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals