• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

master / slave cylinder help needed

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i have a 91 ranger 4.0 5 speed. This morning when i was leaving for work, i could not get the truck in gear. I turned the truck off, and put it in gear, then started it back up and it crept forward with the clutch pedal pushed in.

Now i believe that either the master or slave cylinder is the problem, but is there a way to tell which is going out? And is it normal for it to just go out overnight? I would have thought it would slowly wear out and eventually go out, not just go out overnight...

Thanks for the help

james99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
it is the slave cylinder. i just had to replace the one on my truck and yes when my went out it was over night. one day i drove it and had no problems the next morning i didnt make it 2 blocks before it went. :annoyed:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The slave is a more common failure, but I would bleed the system for good measure before pulling the tranny and replacing the slave.

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, thank you both. So, are the symptoms any different when the master cylinder is going out vs the slave? It seems like it would be easier to replace the master cylinder first since you don’t have to pull the tranny. Then if that wasn’t it, replace the slave.

It doesn’t really matter, I'm just curious

My clutch set is starting to go as well, so I picked up a slave cylinder, main oil seal, and clutch set and am going to replace it all tonight. YIPPY!!! :sarcasm: :annoyed:

I keep telling myself that fixing this truck as it breaks is cheaper than paying on a new truck that doesnt break, but I'm beginning to wounder... Oh well, eventually I will get caught up and stuff will stop breaking(for the most part)..

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I keep telling myself that fixing this truck as it breaks is cheaper than paying on a new truck that doesnt break, but I'm beginning to wounder... Oh well, eventually I will get caught up and stuff will stop breaking(for the most part)..
Yeah, but if you don't go out and buy parts and fix it tonight, you are not going to have ghetto girl from the collections department wondering why you haven't paid.

Never again will I have a car payment. New, used or otherwise.

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
AHHHHH...:bawling:

Just put in a new clutch set, throw out bearing, pilot bearing, and slave cylinder. and still the clutch is not fully disengaging! I tried to bleed this thing several times with no luck.. So is the master cylinder at fault or am i not bleeding correctly.. Last time i bleed the slave cylinder it was easy, no problems, so i dont think its a bleeding issue..

What do you guys think?

out cast

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
an idea i tried to bleed my clutch... take the master off the fire wall, tilt it down and use a screwdriver or somehing pushing upwards, bleed it this way. most of the air will bleed out this way.

also, use a bunch of brake cleaner on the flywheel, mine had grease on it and wouldn't grab to shift.

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright, i will give that a try tonight...

I dont understand why they are so hard to bleed... Last time i bled the slave cylinder on a ranger, all i did was open the bleeder and let gravity do the work. Nothing to it... Maybe last time was a fluke and this time air got in the master cylinder somehow. I dont know

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
They are tough to bleed because of the way the master is postioned....it is tilted slightly downwards, so air bubbles can get trapped in the upper portion of it. The trick is to unbolt it from the firewall, and unhook the rod from the pedal. You then tilt the master up, which makes the rod point to the floor of the truck. Bleed it like this, you have to pump it by hand, it's tough, but can be done.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Once you have the tranny out it is a good idea to change the input shaft seal on the tranny just for sh*^s and giggles and I hear the flywheel is not very expensive either a cracked flywheel will destroy the new clutch in short order and there is a good demo on how to bench bleed the master cylinder and lines before you put it back together using gravity is the best but you have to pull the master cyl and line to do it correct In my opinion a new master cyl at the same time will give you a whole new system of worry free operation I will try and find the bleeding procedure

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
heres a good videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgNTDGwcjZc

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
sorry hadnt realized you already changed the clutch but you can pull the master cyl and line and bleed it that way first then bleed the slave sorry about the linc just copy and paste back to the www works

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am going to pick up a new master cylinder today and throw it in.. Then i will know everything is good... Hopefully bleeding it wont be a PITA...

Thanks for the link and help

parisot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
where exactly does the o-ring go on where the hydraulic line connects to the slave cylinder?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals