• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual transmission rattling under acceleration

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
Hi guys,
I have a 2000 xlt 2.5, 5speed. When I accelerate heavily there is a rattling noise that starts at about 1500 and goes to 3500 rpm. I haven't checked it out yet for lose parts or anything but I'm going out right now to check so I thought I'd ask. And suggestions for what it might be? :dunno:
And thank you ahead of time.

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What kind of rattling is it? High-pitched? Knocking? Can you feel vibrations? the description you gave us was kind of vague. And are you sure it was your transmission and not your engine pinging? Put in 89 octane fuel next fill-up to eliminate that possibility.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmmm...depending on the noise and other things as mentioned by stickshift...I just noticed a rumble in mine too...but mine is the rear end...

Crawl under and with the truck in neutral rotate the drive shaft and listen for noises...make sure to block the tires if not on a completely flat surface though...

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Crawl under and with the truck in neutral rotate the drive shaft and listen for noises...
You know, there were these squeaks from somewhere in the rear but I just dismissed it as the bearings not being happy after having some warped drums. It was when the clunks started that made me crawl under my truck and rather quickly realize that my rear u-joint took a complete dump on me. The new one is in the mail from Rock Auto (love them :icon_hornsup:) and it will be here Monday.

Unitl then... :annoyed:

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
It is not a pinging or a knocking. I cannot feel it and it's not rumbling ither. It kind of sounds like if you were to put 2 medium sized ball bearings into a glass jar and shake it really fast. When it's cold it goes from 1 to 4 grand. But agan it's only under acceleration and when the clutch is "engaged"

Thed

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Go out and quickly check everything from the transmission to the axle and make sure nothing looks out of whack. rotate and shake the driveshaft at the front and back to see if your u-joints are still good.

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
Nothing. -___________-

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Could also be a heat shield on the cat...there is one attached to the floorboards right over the cat on some trucks...or check the heat shield on the exhaust manifold...had one on my tempo that scared me...took it to a shop and they laughed...I laughed...till they showed me the bill to replace it...

You could also try lifting the rear end and rotating the tires...see if you can feel it then...but to reach 1,000 rpm's is going to take some doing...maybe lift it right up on jack stands under both sides of the axel and try it...might see something that way...or hear something.

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the help so far everyone. And mark_88 I'll try checking the cats and putting it up on blocks when I get home from school, I'll update later at about 3 or 4 Cali time

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
My transmission does the same thing, which actually can worry me sometimes when I'm getting on the throttle in my boosted ranger.

I am sure mine is the input shaft bearing, as it makes the same noise (only quieter) while coasting.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
are you sure its not from lugging the engine? most ranger transmissions rattle when accelerating at low rpms.

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
Rose2300 I'm not sure that's why im posting here I just wanted to check and make sure it wasn't anything bad. Insanejughead is it something I should replace and if so what is the time requirements for getting it all replaced

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
1500 RPM isn't lugging the engine, unless it's running like complete shit. Also, my engine makes more noise through the exhaust when I'm lugging the engine than my transmission (lugging as in 800-900 RPM, where it ALMOST jolts the truck with each rotation.)

The input shaft bearing shouldn't fail you catastrophically, it should just get progressively worse. I recommend changing out the fluid and checking if there are any chunks of metal that might be cause for concern. Thankfully, that will only cost you the price of three quarts of ATF.

Also, does it make that same noise (only quieter) as you coast?

I wish I had rebuilt a M5OD, then I could help you out more. It is on the list of things I'm going to get done to my ranger in the next year or two.

rangergi

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
I2.5
Transmission
Manual
Don't worry your helping a lot. And when it is cold it does rattle but when it gets warm it stops. I will do that over the weekend and check back here other than that thank you all for the input.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Lift up on the tailshaft of the transmission. Your rubber Transmission mount may be shot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals