• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Trans Radiator Question

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Radiators????

was somebody talking about radiators?

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
both of my kids, 35 & 38, keep hinting at moving south. I keep telling them how peaceful it is in northern Michigan this time of year. no problem social distancing there either.
Did I mention I’ve been water skiing on Christmas Eve? Long time ago and it was very unusual and still cold, but there’s nothing like Michigan cold. Grab Momma and the kids and come visit. My kids same age, but they’re up in NYC are now.

Btw, not about any commission, I’m way beyond that. I’m a very loyal GA transplant. We need your work ethic, education, skills, Values, etc. You’re welcome anytime, I’ll show you around. Cheap flights too, if the virus hasn’t ruined that too, or come down in your Winnebago, as long as it doesn’t explode...

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
...A more significant consideration might be the capacity of the radiator. I’m not sure what came in yours, but both of mine had single cores and I’m replacing them both with double cores. They drop right in, and I don’t think there’s even an interference problem with the shroud and with the fan. They’re only about $30 $35 more, which is cheap insurance for a higher mileage truck. Basically you can’t have a radiator that’s too big, it’s the thermostat that controls the temperature, and with an older vehicle you might want more capacity to cool, which is cheap insurance for a higher mileage truck.
Ditto on that. Recently replaced FactoryOE JunkPlasticTanked 1CoreRadiator with AllAluminum 4CoreRadiator in 2001 V6~4.0L~SOHC.
Replaced stock 192f ThermoStat with 183f ThermoStat; six months now, temps never out of 183~185f range, summer heat, winter snow.
Should have done this years ago.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm waiting for my current radiator to take a dump before I do what you did @DILLARD000. I've been trying to replace the factory plastic bits with metal as opportunity presents itself and I'm already removing the part. Like the thermostat housing as an example. I REALLY want to replace that stupid plastic transmission pan on the 2019. No one makes one yet for the 10R80 but PML and Blackgate Customs says they have one in the works.

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Plastic pan on the tranny? In another few years, the whole damned vehicle will be molded from $10 worth of polypropylene pellets!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Plastic pan on the tranny? In another few years, the whole damned vehicle will be molded from $10 worth of polypropylene pellets!
Yep. Apparently all the 10R80 transmissions have that pan.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
wow, new one for me, I knew theyve used plastic for years on intakes & valve covers, my ‘93 had a composite rear diff cover. But a transmission oil pan? Next they will make engine oil pans out of plastic if not already done. Hopefully aftermarket will step in . Just like the plastic radiator tanks, time and thermal cycling lead to cracks/leaks/failure.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
Next they will make engine oil pans out of plastic if not already done.
Yep, already done. While I don't agree with using plastic in these applications, this ain't your average plastic. It's fully capable of handling the temps and plenty strong in most situations. Bouncing on a stump isn't one of them though.

cahman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for your insights everybody!

Pretty sure I was dealing with a "one design fits every application" for the radiator/transcooler, but wanted to be certain before shelling out the clams.

I swapped out the radiator yesterday. I was going to plug the transcooler ports with a couple of bolts (5/8 fine thread if anyone wants to know). But the bolts were $5 a go at the local hardware shop, and way too long to boot. Instead I just globbed the ports full of RTV. *shrug* Should keep the dirt and bugs out. The plastic caps that came with the radiator weren't very substantial...

I'd considered an all aluminum radiator, but heck, the OEM plastic lasted 22 years over 230+k miles and never overheated. If it ain't broke...

-C

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Eh yeah same here, was irritated when the plastic radiator started leaking after 23 years on my truck.... till it occurred to me, that I had *never* gotten anywhere close to 23 years on a conventional radiator, before needing to replace or have cleaned out. So......

A trans pans shouldn't be under a lot of stress.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Eh yeah same here, was irritated when the plastic radiator started leaking after 23 years on my truck.... till it occurred to me, that I had *never* gotten anywhere close to 23 years on a conventional radiator, before needing to replace or have cleaned out. So......

A trans pans shouldn't be under a lot of stress.
It isn't but it's being put under a 4X4 that potentially will go off road and there isn't anything to protect it from bashing against a rock. Not to mention the plastic hardening over time and losing it's ability to flex. Metal might not be a whole lot better but at least steel will bend before it springs a leak and dumps the contents of the pan all over the trail and leaving you looking for a tow buddy to get you out to where a tow truck can get to you.

Then there is the whole heat transfer thing. With a plastic pan, the transmission cooler must now be bigger to compensate for the loss of cooling the metal pan provided in the past.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
If that pan is left exposed on a 4x4, that's criminally stupid.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Happily, there are options available to rectify that with the 2019+. There are at least two makers that offer a full skid plate kit. The earlier Rangers, you are stuck with the OEM plates or have to make your own and none them offer transmission pan protection.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals