• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M50D leaking between Main housing and Extension Housing?

locovaca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Since i got my truck I've had a small leak on the backside of the tranny. I chalked it up to the shift plugs, and last year when I did my clutch job I put in the freeze plugs and RTVed the outside for good measure.

It's been still leaking since then, and I've had the truck parked in the garage the last month doing a big rewiring and such. At the start of everything I went in the back and wiped off the bottom of the tranny to see if it was leaking while running or just sitting there. Well, I checked this morning and it's definitely leaked a few drops over the last few weeks with no driving. I took off the floor pan and checked the shift rail plugs, they are bone dry.

So I went below and sprayed the entire bottom with brake cleaner to help pinpoint the leak, but initially it looks like its coming from between the main tranny housing and the extension housing. It looks like there's a paper gasket in there by default. So my questions are:

1. From what I've read, you can just pull the housing without pulling the tranny + guts, right? Just drop the drive shaft and remove the bolts?

2. Anywhere online where I might find a replacement gasket, or do I need to just use RTV?

After football I'm going to go check and see if that indeed is where the fluid is coming from, but I didn't see anywhere else that it could be.

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Yes, you can pull the tail housing without dropping the tranny. Use Back RTV to reseal it. You should check the tail shaft bushing while it is out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals