• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lynxs 95 Ranger Compounding Twinchargerd 2.3 2B

Lynx_Gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well all, time to start a build thread I suppose.

mostly its more of a log for me to go back and referance what I did when and what parts from where etc. A mod/service/maintenace history.

So anywhays, the start.

I've had 2 Merkur XR4Tis. (Technically still got em, although the one is stripped and gutted, more or less, and the other parked.)

As it is, i have a 2.3 turbo engine sittin on the engine stand in my garage.

I had always intended to slap it into my s12, (nissan 200sx/gazzelle/s12 etc) but it jsut needs too much parts and fabricating to get done.

As a result, i chanced across the listing for this 95 ranger, 350$ i was like hmm...

no pic, emailed the owner back n forth. yadda yadda, n up i went n scored it, but due to weather, it was a second 4.5hr trip to get it home.

It passed the test anyways, no rust on the cab, and it had already had a 2.3 and manual tranny.

Puuurfect!

So heres my 325$ truck, that needs a lock cylinder (Picked one up new for 40$ yesterday) and likely needs a clutch slave. also in town and in stock, for like 70-89$ with pilot bearing.

Has some semi fancy rims on her: (I've sinc seen em on other rangers/broncos etc since joining TRS :D)

And now here is yet another legendary (Lmao) 2.3T lima engine, outta an 85 merkur xr4ti:

A lil upgrade i picked up back int he day.. im pretty sure its hooped tho, but may be restorable.. not certain yet.. need to get it to someone who knows more than me.. (It had sucked in some sand or gravel or some such.. a bit of chipped edges on some of the blades etc...) *Crosses fingers*

its the good one, the 12cm3 as well, not the 9cm3 one.. i had all the specs etc researched and saved aroudn here someplace.. now i cnat even member the proper name for it..

Holset hy35y or hx35y or jsut plain hy35??? something like that..
anyways, its a holset off a cummings.. the welding truck it was on went with a TT kit. lol i worked with his wife, and tinker on his truck a bit from time to time, so he gave me the turbo and exhaust mani and all the intake plumbing etc..

now wether i use this turbo or the OEM one, i do plan to go Twncharged.

Now lets clarrify two things right here and now before any of the typical confusion begins..

Twincharged = A turbo, and A Supercharger. NOT two turbos (TT)
its typicaly used because when setup properly, one will mitigate the failings of the others.. Turbo lag for the turbo, lesser boost numbers for the charger..

Compound Boosting= One Unit feeds into the next (Either directly or through a cooler or whatever.) it pre builds the pressure, and thus the second unit compresses it again (Basicaly seeing the already compressed air as atmospheric pressure) its not exactly double, or half or anythign like that.. its a COMPOUNDED ratio. the downfall is, the inefficiencies are also compounded.

anyways the gist of the plan is simple

im gona fix it up to be driveable, essentialy replaces ignition switch and see why the clutch is takin on air. (Prolly need the slave tho)

drive it around for abit, see hwo the milage is, what kinda power it does or doesnt have etc.

Then swap the turbo motor in as a stock unit, drive it around for a bit again.

Install Megasquirt.

yes, i will be going with the squirt lol.

I have also found the purfect charger for the perfect price, jsut hope its still for sale when i go to buy it and I dont have to settle for an older m90. (this is one the newer more effecient ones, that can spin up to around 16000rpnm versus the 12000 rpm of the older m90s.. (I think i got those numbers right...)

this is the heart and core of this project. :D

It should be about another week, maybe two, till i get my income tax back, $5300+ so i can splurge and spend a few hundred on MS and a few more hundred on a supercharger... so long as i get my schooling paid for again which is only around 1200.. haha

beyond that, ya the usualy plans. tweak and tinker,

drop it down a few inches, put in a cage, found a nice body kit, but i wana se if i can use it with the pre-runner style fiberglass fenders for lightness, adn for more room for wider tires.. (kind of a widebody kit i guess??)

if i can ever find evidence that you can mate a T56 to a 2.3 reliably, (its been done, jsut doesnt last long because of the adapter bushing or some such from what i've read,) but if i had a t56, i would be tempted to go with somethign as low as 4.59 or whatever gears it was listed, in an 8.8 inch rear end. (I think it was an explorer with disc brakes, as thats one of the big things i wanted..

and either a multilink, or plain old ladder bar setup with coil overs.

found some custom led lights frntt n rear,

n well mostly got everything figured out and researched in my head..

from here on out its all time and money.

but for now, what is certain, and simple and quick, is gona be the engine stuffs..

soo..

anyways, let it begin!
:yahoo::icon_cheers:

~L~
:icon_welder:

multiranger

Praise the Lowerd!
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hmmm Sounds interesting...

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why the twin charging? the 2.3 can make plenty of power with less trouble on turbo alone...

that turbo is an hy35.

Lynx_Gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
why the twin charging? the 2.3 can make plenty of power with less trouble on turbo alone...

that turbo is an hy35.
yeah, thats the one... :d

its not about the power.. well, it is, but its all about more power sooner..

and something to play with.. lol

with the 2.3 stock, its around 3200 rpm when the boost kicks in...

with the supercharger, should put it closer to around 1600 (rough estimate) maybe 2k or something.. maybe less with the compounding, but not bettin on it..

and it will have much more, much faster.

on shifts it will be super quick to get back on boost.

also, one of the biggest things, is, i havent come across a twincharged ranger yet.. hehe, and i just think it will be fun to fab it all up and tune and then enjoy.

i do think, but not 100% sure, if i've even seen a twin charged 2.3, although i think i did once or twice on youtube.

on another note, those eaton M90s were found mostly on 3.8-5.0L 6 n 8 cyls

the 2.3 has alot less space and cyclinders to fill, so also should fill it up much quicker with a bit extra pressure. i figure if i size the pulleys just right, so the super charger doesnt max out till around 8K rpm, (so about a 2-1 ratio assuming the SCs max usefull rpm is 16000)

add in the effects of the compounding, well, hehe it should be epic.

of course theres gona be some pressure drop from the intercooler n all that jazz..

i got two different general ideas on how to do it up, but i think probably the best is gona be:
[Airflow] - into turbo -->FMIC -->SC --> air water cooler (Between) and into the throttlebody n manifold etc...

this keeps it from having a mangled mess of intake piping, and keeps it about as short and limited and direct as possible..

i have one or two other ideas, but meh..

gona have to wait till i have it in hand to realy decide.. :D

~L~

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think your going to run into alot of road blocks trying do to so, and if you have boost coming in at 1600 your going to have a tuning nightmare...

Not bashing, I just know my way around a 2.3 turbo motor hence the name.

reggioisme

June 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l 4 cylinder
Transmission
Manual
i feel sorry for those rods

RacinNdrummin

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Cmon guys, dont discourage him... its definately something different and as a 2.3T guy as well, we all know a lot of those little tricks that most 2.3T'rs use on a common basis were once said not to work, or a waste of time... hell, look at the holset, that was once supposed to "not work" on a 2.3T, and now its the best bang for the buck as far as turbo's go...

Id like to at least see an attempt at a twincharged 2.3T, I think it would be cool to see how it actually does work out, and we all know if there was a bottom end that could handle it, it would be the 2.3T...

To the OP, this is the kinda project you cant just not finish, so if your gonna do it, do it... and with lots of pics...:icon_thumby:

Kage

March 2012 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
....To the OP, this is the kinda project you cant just not finish, so if your gonna do it, do it... and with lots of pics...:icon_thumby:
Yup, even if you just wind up going 'traditional' and using a single turbo, keep on posting. I need ideas for a commuter toy :D

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like I said I'm not bashing on him at all but unless he has and endless amount of money to throw at it, it's going to be hard.

Not hard to do it and get it all on the motor but hard to tune and make it put the numbers down that it should.

With that being said I made 320hp and 380trq on a simple setup in my 86 svo, longblock was completely stock. Ported intake, ported e6, t3t4 at 27 psi, huge 3.5 inch thick ic, snow meth kit spraying 100% alcohol and a shit ton of tuning on the fuel pressure and playing with the MAF setup after the turbo

With some good parts and some real tuning it had alot more in it but I was a broke 17 year old at the time

Next go around will be making quite a bit more power

Lynx_Gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yaay, i finaly got the ignition cylinder changed tonight! I have a key, and can start the truck etc again..

I broke down and bought a lil 1500 watt heater, stung a cord into the cab, and went to work on it..

What a PITA! But, its done! Truck runs pretty good n all.. its gona be a shame to rip teh engine out.. gona see if i can sell it for like 300$, and recoup pretty much all but 25$ from buying it :D

Cmon guys, dont discourage him... its definately something different and as a 2.3T guy as well, we all know a lot of those little tricks that most 2.3T'rs use on a common basis were once said not to work, or a waste of time... hell, look at the holset, that was once supposed to "not work" on a 2.3T, and now its the best bang for the buck as far as turbo's go...

Id like to at least see an attempt at a twincharged 2.3T, I think it would be cool to see how it actually does work out, and we all know if there was a bottom end that could handle it, it would be the 2.3T...

To the OP, this is the kinda project you cant just not finish, so if your gonna do it, do it... and with lots of pics...:icon_thumby:
hehe. thankls for the vote of confidence..

its not like i just woke up one day and thought.. hmm.. lets twin charge a ranger!! lol

i understand its gona be a bit of an undertaking.

I already have the Mega squirt setup all eyeballed out, figured on what accessories/addons etc im gona want n need, downloaded and played with some of its tuning programs etc to try and get an idea of what they're like and find my way around.. just waiting on my income tax return to land in my hand to order it.

I also have the near perfect supercharger lined up as well (about as perfect as its gona get unless i wanna spend like 1500 + on the charger itself.)

its gona be all a-okay :D

start out small, and take leaping steps.. hehe

Seriously, there isnt any discouraging me. I been wanting to twin charge this engine for over a year now.

its prolly gona go somethign like this:

Swap in turbo engine, drive it for a bit, then fab in charger, tune n drive, then rip it all out, go over it all, beef up anything needin beefing up, tweak any minor flaws/nuisances, and make it all nice n pretty.

Anyways, now i can finaly take it to the shop and replace that clutch slave, and give it a good looking over..

wont be surprised one bit if it needs brakes and some front end work, and just from gettin in and out i suspect some new shocks are in order.

check fluids and everything else, yadda yadda..

basicaly go over it with a fine tooth comb, twice.. lol

anyways,

Yaay me, it can start and stuff again.. lol

figured i'd update it, and pull this up to the top of the forum section :D

~L~

EDIT: I keep forgetting to mention, i am very seriously and strongly contemplating and leaning towards runnin it off of Ethanol.. I mean its easy as heck to make moonshine, so why not?

"1 for me, 1 for the truck. 1 for me, one for the truck. 2 for me, one for the truck..... ....."

Last edited:

Lynx_Gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
okay, so, flash forward..
Just recently got done school, passed with ease.. didnt even bother opening my bokos or takin notes or nothing.. hehe.

At any rate, that put a strain on finances, and almsot 2 weeks before school ended, me n the ole lady broke and split sheets, she took pretty much everything.. so i came home and had less than a week to find a place and get moved yadda yadda.. all this and no income for three weeks while i waited for my 1st paycheck.. ugh..

moving five vehicles and storing them (at an aquaintances farm,) and the go karts, the quad etc etc etc.. was a real pita!!

but i fianly got rid of the junked engine donar car, so I can haul the ranger to the shop and get at her.. (the boss doesnt like us having more than one spare vehicle stashed out back.. hehe)

At any rate, this weekend if i have time and mula, i hope to tear downt the engien some, replace gaskets, seals etc etc, clean up her up super nice and give her some paint, replace pretty much anything rubber on it.

now, if anyone happens to read this, i've seen in pics where ppl have replaced the steal coolant tubes with copper tubing/pipe.

Anyone have any take on this? It seems nice and simple, but i cant help think it may be a bad idea.. dont know how copper reacts to coolant chemicals etc.

on the other hand, alot of rads, (at least older ones) where made out of copper, so im thinking copper tubing for the lines etc wouldnt be a bad idea at all..

the onnly real down side is, i dont know if i want copper amongst all the pretty shiny slivery metalic parts.. could paint em, but eww! might not be too bad.. maybe i should do a steampunk theme on her? hahaha.. nah..

anyways, just thought id post up. make sure you didnt all think this project was another "O o o yeah baby here we go and then FIZZLE CHOKE N DIE!" type of thing..

being as i just finished another year of my apprenti, i got a nice big fat raise, and also get 1000$ grant for passing :D

guess where that is going?

and to top it off, they brought in a new bonus system at work.. the more money you make for the company, the more the bonus you get.. I already get 301$ this mnth.. haha

god I cant wait to drop this engine in! I even dreamed about it once or twice in the last couple weeks!! serious!

i think im gona drop the engine in stock for now and wire it all up, then im gona drop the truck, then replace those ugly rusted up fenders/wheel wells.. int hat order. along with fixing any suspension/brakes/steering etc in the drop stage.. prolly take about 2-3mnths to get it all togehter and done.. anyways, laters :D

PS:
Did some pricing out of parts today, when loking at timing belts, i came across timing CHAINs and sprockets as well listed under the 2.3

Anyone know whats up with that? is it possible to switch over to chain and sprockets???

and one other thing.. i know somewhere along the way they switched over to one peice crank seals.. is that to do with the oil pan? Im hoping to use the nice alum metal formed pan off the rangers 2.3 instead of the thin tin generic one originaly on the engine.. anyone know of any problems with this? IE crankk seals, oil pump pickup etc etc?

thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Lynx_Gen

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wow.. that last post was totaly random... wonder if I was drunk??? lol

at any rate, this project is still a go, just sooo super slow.. *Sighs*

Dont worry, one of these days, I'll have some pics n progress etc to post up... :D

~L~

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
from feb 2011.....

keep chewin at er bud:icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals