• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lowering a 2021 Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Multiple
Make / Model
Rangers
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
My credo
I don't subscribe to causes that are compelled by irrational fears.
I recently purchased a brand new Ranger, a 2021 4x2 SuperCab that is pretty lightly equipped; I'm not going to go into a lot of details about story right now, because I feel that narrative might be better served in a different context, but the end outcome of my transaction is I now own two Rangers, a new one and my old 2002 Thunderbolt. I do not intend to keep this Thunderbolt; having the luxury of two vehicles, I originally had two of which neither was a reasonable daily driver. The truck is need of some pretty laborious repairs, and my other car at the time, a Golf R, was more a track-ready car I could drive daily, than a daily driver I could take to the track thanks to the previous owner's modifications to turn the wick up on it's drivetrain.

I will eventually be putting the Thunderbolt up for sale, but I plan to spend the rest of the year refurbishing the truck; I would rather not place it up for sale in it's current state because I'm concerned the next owner will daily-drive a rare, 20 year old Ranger with hard-or-impossible to replace parts because it's cheap enough. That's not what this post is about either.

I would eventually like to lower my truck. While I understand the advantages of an elevated view of the road, I feel like I'm a safer and better driver when I have spatial awareness of the dimensions of my vehicle in the context of lines on the road; the Thunderbolt splits the difference between a car and a new truck marvelously. I bought a 4x2 because I don't care for the 4WD system when 99% of the roads I travel on are flat and paved, and I didn't want the extra cost or weight of a system that I would only use because it's there and not because I want or need it. As I've searched around, I have comprehensively failed to find an out of the box solution, and so far have only found a couple of companies that are getting there seemingly through chassis modification instead of bolt-on parts. I'm wondering if anyone is aware of lowering kits and packages specifically designed for this generation Ranger, whether it be in the US or overseas. Considering the platform has been on sale since 2015 internationally, I would hope that someone somewhere by now would have looked at this "problem" and have either an answer, or an explanation as to why there isn't yet one.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
You want to venture into largely uncharted territory, especially around here. I'd suggest giving these threads a read, they seem like they'd be your best bet on finding info:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Good Luck. There is currently another new Ranger owner asking about the same thing. The unfortunate part of this story is that Most people want the opposite of what your are looking for. The trend seems to be lifting a truck even if it's NOT going off road.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
A few members have been talking about how to accomplish this with the suspension setup the Ranger has.

It seems it’s going to a custom fabrication project at the moment. I don’t think anyone found a ready made product yet.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Maybe you two can figure this out for everybody else.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Multiple
Make / Model
Rangers
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
stock
Total Drop
stock
Tire Size
stock
My credo
I don't subscribe to causes that are compelled by irrational fears.
Maybe you two can figure this out for everybody else.
Sadly I'm not made of money. I can't imagine someone won't figure something out eventually; I mean if UnderGlow can be cool again, sooner or later people are going to want to lower their trucks.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Whenever you want to shed that ThunderBolt, PM me!

Derek costello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good Luck. There is currently another new Ranger owner asking about the same thing. The unfortunate part of this story is that Most people want the opposite of what your are looking for. The trend seems to be lifting a truck even if it's NOT going off road.
I will document the process doing the lowering of my 2021 ford ranger when I do it. So far their seems to be no ready made kits for this, I'm wanting to lower 3" at the rear and 2" at the front. I will be trying to retain the helper leaf at the rear and already know I have to reduce the size of the bump stop.
The front will require shorter/stiffer springs in an adjustable coil/over product. Derek

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
On many trucks you would lower the rear with reversed or raised shackles. On 2019+ Rangers the shackles are already as high as they can go. The only way to lower them as far as I can tell is by removing leafs from the rear springs or new flatter springs. Then you might need to shorten the driveshaft a little bit too.

Derek costello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
On many trucks you would lower the rear with reversed or raised shackles. On 2019+ Rangers the shackles are already as high as they can go. The only way to lower them as far as I can tell is by removing leafs from the rear springs or new flatter springs. Then you might need to shorten the driveshaft a little bit too.

Derek costello

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Their are two plates on top of the axel above the single leaf rear spring if I remove those and flatten the main leaf I would lower it about 2" max!
I want to lower it 3 1/2" at the back and 2" at the front so it sits lower and level............So the only to lower it properly is to put the leaf spring under
the axel! but this will lower it to much (5") so I will now have to install longer shackles with multiple holes in them so I can adjust the height.......
The front is easy just buy a pair of rated coil/over shocks and springs with adjustable ride height......Derek.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
Bell Tech has a lowering kit now.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals