• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loud Engine with Ticking

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Since the manifold is attached directly to the engine, there is a lots of movement and vibration at that connection point. The bolt could have just rusted enough to break on its own and fall off. If the cost isn't much, I would get both sides done. Preventative maintenance, while inconvenient at the time, often pays for itself in spades later on. Picking up where someone else left off, is always more difficult than if you had the vehicle from day one. But since that isn't the case, it's an opportunity to turn a lemon into lemonade.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Since the manifold is attached directly to the engine, there is a lots of movement and vibration at that connection point. The bolt could have just rusted enough to break on its own and fall off. If the cost isn't much, I would get both sides done. Preventative maintenance, while inconvenient at the time, often pays for itself in spades later on. Picking up where someone else left off, is always more difficult than if you had the vehicle from day one. But since that isn't the case, it's an opportunity to turn a lemon into lemonade.
I want to have more confidence in this particular vehicle before I start throwing chunks of money into it. If this exhaust juncture is the worst of the “engine’s” condition, I’m game to commit to it and get it solved. To the best of my knowledge, it’s only got 84K on it so should have some solid life ahead. I’ll be pushing through some routine maintenance stuff, hoping to discover any issues. Gonna do vacuum line cleaning, fuel filter change, maybe some injectors cleaning if I can, air filter, a sensor or two, etc. If anything I end up discovering is truly major, I may just postpone serious engine work and decide to swap in a rebuilt engine in. I only spent 1K on this truck.
I am pressure washing the body this week to remove some stupid hand done paint work that’s already falling to pieces and may carefully spray some parts of the engine so that I can perform clean maintenance. I know, gotta be super careful. I never to this in my other vehicles but this is a good candidate for it. For instance for doing a compression check, involving opening all the spark plugs. There’s buildup all over the place and something bad is bound to happen.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I want to have more confidence in this particular vehicle before I start throwing chunks of money into it. If this exhaust juncture is the worst of the “engine’s” condition, I’m game to commit to it and get it solved. To the best of my knowledge, it’s only got 84K on it so should have some solid life ahead. I’ll be pushing through some routine maintenance stuff, hoping to discover any issues. Gonna do vacuum line cleaning, fuel filter change, maybe some injectors cleaning if I can, air filter, a sensor or two, etc. If anything I end up discovering is truly major, I may just postpone serious engine work and decide to swap in a rebuilt engine in. I only spent 1K on this truck.
I am pressure washing the body this week to remove some stupid hand done paint work that’s already falling to pieces and may carefully spray some parts of the engine so that I can perform clean maintenance. I know, gotta be super careful. I never to this in my other vehicles but this is a good candidate for it. For instance for doing a compression check, involving opening all the spark plugs. There’s buildup all over the place and something bad is bound to happen.
We

Want

Pics.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
eightynine4x4,

Your driver's side exhaust manifold looks a little rough but the passenger side us a different story. I can see that the tail portion of your manifold is missing, it is shaped a lot like a ball with a hole in the middle. Someone has slide the "Y" pipe way forward and attached an exhaust "U" bolt to hold it on.

If your lucky, your heads and valve train weren't not sacrificed for this band-aid repair.

I would pull both exhaust manifolds and either install headers or replace the manifolds, if your head's are determined not compromised.

I would expect to need the new manifolds no matter what; probably a valve job due to lean condition resulting from the exhaust leak. If you can do all the work bar machining, not too bad as a valve job is $150ish plus parts if needed. Replacement exhaust manifolds aren't too pricey, headers are my recommended replacement parts.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
All right you’ve earned it.
Feast your eyes on the decadence...
This is as I first parked it, right off the flatbed.
Still not sure what the crusty matte black material is. Kinda bedliner ish but pathetically not adhered. Like when it rains it all kinda melts. The bed is some kind of hand painted primer that I can peel off by fingernail, albeit difficultly. It could be interior latex or something. The brush strokes are nonsensically apparent. I really have no idea what they were trying to achieve.
Theres no doubt 1500/2000 psi will remove the black crap, and I’m hoping it’ll get the grey paint off too. I got the plastic fenders off recently and there is no rust in fronts but a little rust in rears. Workable for sure. OEM looks good so far, but except the hood which is largely sun bleached. I’d much rather have that than black crust though.

We

Want

Pics.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
eightynine4x4,

Your driver's side exhaust manifold looks a little rough but the passenger side us a different story. I can see that the tail portion of your manifold is missing, it is shaped a lot like a ball with a hole in the middle. Someone has slide the "Y" pipe way forward and attached an exhaust "U" bolt to hold it on.

If your lucky, your heads and valve train weren't not sacrificed for this band-aid repair.

I would pull both exhaust manifolds and either install headers or replace the manifolds, if your head's are determined not compromised.

I would expect to need the new manifolds no matter what; probably a valve job due to lean condition resulting from the exhaust leak. If you can do all the work bar machining, not too bad as a valve job is $150ish plus parts if needed. Replacement exhaust manifolds aren't too pricey, headers are my recommended replacement parts.
To my eye it doesn’t look like the passenger manifold bally pipe end length is worn away, just that the bracket is gone and repacked with a U clamp which of course doesn’t do the job so it all slipped off.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
That truck looks good!

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
@rusty ol ranger

Dude! That thing is sweet!
It was exciting to find it since I had been waiting for a while to simply find an 80’s ranger nearby and then “restore” it, and lift it with some chunkier tires, but the latter is already done now. Very helpful and lucky! Still have some uncertainties about condition but keeping fingers crossed.
The suspension has some non OEM business which I’ll be posting about soon. It quite clearly was an off road champion at some point.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
With the right tires and a body lift delete, that thing would make one hell of a daily.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
While it looks rough, as long as the underside is in decent shape. It has good bones and potential.

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
With the right tires and a body lift delete, that thing would make one hell of a daily.
Yeah I’ve been considering compromising a bit and deleting the body lift. Would be handsome. I could maybe just keep these tires though. I really can’t afford/justify throwing new ones on when these great ones are already there. But regardless it’s also super appealing to keep the body lift so I might. Just being able to romp over anything on trails is a big deal. I plan on getting up into the mountains for photography and camping and similar ventures.
I forgot to mention my other stipulations of finding the truck being 4x4, regular cab, short bed. Wanted the farm style mirrors too, although those could have been added. When this all popped up and also had the lift for that price I was on the horse immediately.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Good setup, and good overall truck. If you stick it out with it, start a build thread. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals