• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loss of power

J.Incognito

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have an '85 ranger 2.0 and I have been slowly learning and rebuilding it. Well last year my truck stopped running and I thought it was a transmission or clutch problem until a year later I got on here and found out it was the shifter linkage and was directed to where to get the appropriate part. So here I am a year later and my truck wouldn't start. It wasn't getting spark. 2 weeks and much headache later it starts and runs beautifully but has not power amd I even lose power switching it into 3rd. Start losing speed. I am so frustrated and would appreciate some help.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Like I said in the other thrtead, you'll get better help in the other section of the forum. I wrongly assumed 2.8L, but this has all been hashed out for the 4 cylinders as well. As there and I'm sure you'll get good responses that help you get things sorted quickly.

tw205

Bronco II Rancher.
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6” skyjacker 2” body
Tire Size
33x12.5
What did you do to get it running with the no spark issue. Has the timing been compromised? What kind of fuel pressure are you getting?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Gasoline in a vehicle gas tank last 5 to 6 months, the "go juice" part evaporates and you are left with "maybe go juice"
After a year you are way past "gasoline" being in the tank
Even adding "fresh" fuel to what left probably won't help much
i.e. if you have a 1/4 tank of "water" adding 3/4 tank of gasoline still leaves you with a 1/4 tank of water, lol
If in doubt drain it out

Power is tied directly to Compression
2.0l uses a timing belt, which get old and can stretch or slip
Test compression in at least 2 cylinders, all 4 is best

140psi is OK but expected is 155-165psi
If in the 100-130s then replace timing belt

Spark timing will also reduce overall power, you worked on the spark system so I "assume" you also timed it?

J.Incognito

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I had the timing belt redone in a shop right before it broke down. I couldn't get it right so I had someone else do it. I also changed the fuel pump around the same time. The no spark I changed out the selinoid and the ignition coil before I had a friend and myself go through the wiring diagram to find out the wire from the coil to the module was burdened out. I also drained all of the previous gas that was in it before I refueled it. I have not had the timing redone since getting it started again, and I do not have a compression tester at this time.

J.Incognito

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have an '85 ranger 2.0 and I have been slowly learning and rebuilding it. Well last year my truck stopped running and I thought it was a transmission or clutch problem until a year later I got on here and found out it was the shifter linkage and was directed to where to get the appropriate part. So here I am a year later and my truck wouldn't start. It wasn't getting spark. 2 weeks and much headache later it starts and runs beautifully but has not power amd I even lose power switching it into 3rd. Start losing speed. I am so frustrated and would appreciate some help.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
you have posted the same question on 2 separate threads

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would check the spark timing

What about the exhaust system?
Exhaust restrictions reduce power same as a clogged air filter will by restricting in coming air

Do you have a vacuum gauge?
It can give you an idea of whats happening inside any gasoline engine
At idle expected vacuum is 18-21", lower means lower power, which can be from spark timing being off or low compression, clogged in take or clogged exhaust, you can test for which might be the problem with the gauge reading

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals