• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for new tires looking for recommendations

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
This is true. Here's an example..

View attachment 87176

This is a picture of my truck 'stuck' just about an hour ago. The ground is solid.. it's just the top inch or two is mushy once you put 2.5 tons on it. Even with the rear end locked the tires were just spinning. While I probably could of just put er' to the wood and spun my way to hell out of there.. realistically Needed 4x4.

I do have general grabbers.. but.. same difference.
I got grabber ATX's on rusty and i just drug my 2500lb trailer with 3 low tires uphill in the driveway at the old house in a couple inches of mud.

Granted i was into the throttle...but they seem to bite ok in mud.

The BFG's will work in mud...just takes a ridiculious amount of wheelspeed to self clean.

I got my 97 250 (2wd) stuck in the yard once. It was soft and mushy from springtime melt and rain. I couldnt go anywhere untill i said "f*** it" and hammered it to the floor. Speedo read 55-60 (i swear i felt it go into O/D), mud, sod, stones flying everywhere...but damnit i came out.

This was on BFG's at about 60% tread

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ideally, I would like at set of MTs for the warm months and a good set of ATs for the winter months.

I’ve found the KO2 to be a very good snow tire. From reviews and looking at the tread pattern, General Grabbers perform about the same.

MTs tend to not be a good snow tire. The requirements that make a good mud tire is counter to what makes a good snow tire.

Money ends up being the deciding factor over all. The 5 KO2 tires with TPMS sensors tallied up to $1500 dollars. A 5 tire set of BFG KM3s would end up being about the same.

In the end, you will have to decide what will serve you best and what you can afford. Right now, a set of KO2s serves me best based on budget and what I do. A set of KM3s would just be icing on the cake.

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31x10.5r15
I've tended to stick with ATs because my truck sees more pavement than off-road and when I do take it on off-road trips it's usually light stuff and I don't really tackle any serious mud. I encounter muddy situations more on the family farm than anything.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
When I bought my '21 I put a set of kenda klever m/ts on it. Set of 4 32"ers shipped to my door was 520$ and they come with a 50k mile warranty. They were awesome as a mud tire, and would definitely make it to 50k with 5k mile rotations. They were however, the only tires I've driven on that honestly scared me in the snow.

I had a very similar set of tires on my '10 the last year I had it... Achilles desert hawk m/ts... while the tread pattern on those was almost a carbon copy of the kendas... they were MUCH better in the snow..weirdly. they probably only would of lasted 30k miles though.
Interesting… my 92 Ranger had Kenda Klever MTs on it when I got it, bout brand new too. I was actually pretty happy with how they performed all around. I really expected sub par performance being an “off” brand mud tire and they performed really rather well. I’d definitely buy them, even in snow they did well. The back liked to kick out in snow, but that’s a bit of the limited slip because when it would act up like that, really wouldn’t hurt to be in 4x4 anyway. In 4x4 it would go anywhere.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I always tried to run a good aggressive AT tire on most of my stuff. Couple ones I really liked over the years are no longer available though. Getting harder to find a decent one these days, in my opinion. After watching a lot of the BFG AT tires turn to instant chocolate doughnuts I decided they weren’t for me. Some that I tried weren’t any good either (Nexen Roadian ATs, Hankook Dynapro ATs). Both of those are about worthless. Eventually got to looking at Mastercraft tires and at the time, they had a rebate on the Courser CT but not the AT, so I went with the CT which was a little more aggressive on my F-150. I’m at the end of my second set of those on there and they were great.

Mom and dad put Mastercraft Courser AT (maybe AXT, I’ll have to check now) on mom’s Explorer and mom was happy with them. Well, things happened and they got put on dad’s Ranger and he didn’t like them at all on the Ranger. Mom insists they worked great on the Explorer though, so they will get switched back at some point here.

My green Ranger I was going to get the AXT tires, but then we had some bad snow and the Hankooks that were on the Ranger were so bad (my 30 minute drive was over an hour and 30 minutes. They weren’t worn out, still legal, but getting there. At that point I was so mad I ordered the CXT, which replaced the CT. Ranger did rather well with those up until my transmission took a dump and I decided to start the 5.0 swap.

Funny thing is, when hunting this year we had to drive back in a farm field. Dad was having too much trouble with the AT tires that I swapped my set from the green Ranger on dad’s, the CXTs. He’s so happy with those that he bought a set for himself. Only thing I’ve run that I’m happy enough with to consider getting instead would be the Kenda Klever MTs that are on the 92.

Sadly, my choptop has BFG AT KOs on the front and BFG MTs on the back. It’s done rather well on them, but I think some of that is more that they are 35x12.50x15 and on that particular rig rather than anything. I do kinda miss the old bias ply Ground Hawg knock offs that I got from dad though, they were way better than the current tires. Looking at the MXT to replace them.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you live in an area that gets snow, you might want to consider two sets of tires. MTs tend to not be snow and ice friendly.
LOL, I have heard that for years but MT tires have always done great in the snow and ice for me. I have to pull people out of the ditch and up the hill close to my property almost every time it snows and the MT tires have never failed me.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4 inch
Tire Size
33X12.50-15
I got grabber ATX's on rusty and i just drug my 2500lb trailer with 3 low tires uphill in the driveway at the old house in a couple inches of mud.

The BFG's will work in mud...just takes a ridiculious amount of wheelspeed to self clean.

I got my 97 250 (2wd) stuck in the yard once. It was soft and mushy from springtime melt and rain. I couldnt go anywhere untill i said "f*** it" and hammered it to the floor. Speedo read 55-60 (i swear i felt it go into O/D), mud, sod, stones flying everywhere...but damnit i came out.

haha thats how i blew out my first set of auto hubs got buried in the snow and my dad was "helping" me get out and decided to just say F it and put his foot to the floor i had 4x4 for about 2 seconds then two loud bangs and a bunch of grinding and clicking and that was it lol

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
LOL, I have heard that for years but MT tires have always done great in the snow and ice for me. I have to pull people out of the ditch and up the hill close to my property almost every time it snows and the MT tires have never failed me.
It depends on the tire and the tread design, thus why I said “tends”. I’ve seen mud tires that were absolutely horrible in snow on other people’s vehicles. Of course, most of those tend to be the “mud swamper” style of tire with massive tread block and no siping. Most of the trucks/Jeeps that are sitting on the side of the road or in the median tend to be equipped with mud tires. Granted, most times they were also blowing by everyone else instead driving according to conditions. So, it could also be more driver error than equipment issues.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I do have general grabbers.. but.. same difference.

I've had great luck with the grabber AT2s in the mud. I even had them on my 2wd open rear truck for a while because I kept getting stuck in my muddy drive way, no problems afterwards. Not that great in the snow though.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Interesting… my 92 Ranger had Kenda Klever MTs on it when I got it, bout brand new too. I was actually pretty happy with how they performed all around. I really expected sub par performance being an “off” brand mud tire and they performed really rather well. I’d definitely buy them, even in snow they did well. The back liked to kick out in snow, but that’s a bit of the limited slip because when it would act up like that, really wouldn’t hurt to be in 4x4 anyway. In 4x4 it would go anywhere.
I've always liked kenda tires.. pedal bikes, dirt bikes, wheelers.. they know what they're doing. I was skeptical of the 50k warranty considering how chunky they are... but I put about 25k on mine and they definitely had at least half tread left, definitely impressed.

But yeah.. I've driven things through winter on bald tires before and had less butt-pucker moments than I did with the kendas lol.

I've had great luck with the grabber AT2s in the mud. I even had them on my 2wd open rear truck for a while because I kept getting stuck in my muddy drive way, no problems afterwards. Not that great in the snow though.
Yeah like I said I'm sure I coulda just turned the traction control off and rooted my way out of there, but, it's the inlaws back yard lol can't be doing that.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I've always liked kenda tires.. pedal bikes, dirt bikes, wheelers.. they know what they're doing. I was skeptical of the 50k warranty considering how chunky they are... but I put about 25k on mine and they definitely had at least half tread left, definitely impressed.

But yeah.. I've driven things through winter on bald tires before and had less butt-pucker moments than I did with the kendas lol.

Yeah like I said I'm sure I coulda just turned the traction control off and rooted my way out of there, but, it's the inlaws back yard lol can't be doing that.
Thats the only time ive ever had to be towed on on BFG's. I got my 77 stuck in my buddies front yard on a hill. Im sure i coulda made it had he cared about his yard like i do.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size

Check those out, really reasonable price

You check out the goodyear duratracs?
I've had two sets of those, my buddy had a set, his buddy had multiple sets. All of us have the same complaints - they develop flat spots if they sit for a while, they wear unevenly, are very noisy on the road and traction is just so-so.

I only paid like $200 for mine so I can live with with uneven wear and noise. Moot points there. But my god, if my truck sits in the garage for a month, it feels like it's got square tires on it. Aside from bias plys I have never had another radial that did that. Drives me nuts.

CorbinsRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
My credo
Saskatchewan...hard to spell...easy to draw
we’ll time to get new tires for the ranger just curious what you guys run on your rigs looking at a few different MT tires but do y’all have any recommendations?
Been running Goodyear Duratracs on every truck/suv I've owned for the past 3 decades. IMHO....the best.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals