• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking for new tires looking for recommendations

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
we’ll time to get new tires for the ranger just curious what you guys run on your rigs looking at a few different MT tires but do y’all have any recommendations?

ProjectMiniBeast

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31x10.5r15
we’ll time to get new tires for the ranger just curious what you guys run on your rigs looking at a few different MT tires but do y’all have any recommendations?

I've only ever owned one set of MT tires. They were the Federal Couriga MT and they were great for off-road use but were pretty swimmy on pavement. They wore pretty uneven and were LOUD but got the job done. Otherwise I've owned 2 sets of Cooper AT3 tires and they have been great for me. However after a year or two they start to slowly leak air. I have to top mine off every other week or so and can't find any visible leaks with soapy water. Tread life is good though but they aren't great in really sticky mud but what AT is? I'm looking hard at a set of BFGoodrich KO2 or KM3 tires for my next set. Everyone I've asked about the KO2s say they love theirs.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I've only ever owned one set of MT tires. They were the Federal Couriga MT and they were great for off-road use but were pretty swimmy on pavement. They wore pretty uneven and were LOUD but got the job done. Otherwise I've owned 2 sets of Cooper AT3 tires and they have been great for me. However after a year or two they start to slowly leak air. I have to top mine off every other week or so and can't find any visible leaks with soapy water. Tread life is good though but they aren't great in really sticky mud but what AT is? I'm looking hard at a set of BFGoodrich KO2 or KM3 tires for my next set. Everyone I've asked about the KO2s say they love theirs.
If you didn’t like the Cooper AT3 in mud, you won’t like the KO2, they make for good chocolate doughnuts

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Mastercraft Couser MXTs, have ran them for over 10 years on more than one vehicle and they do great on and offroad, great in the snow as well.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you didn’t like the Cooper AT3 in mud, you won’t like the KO2, they make for good chocolate doughnuts
Yes I have had both and they were both worthless. I actually have a set of 285/75/16 KO2s on my recently purchased Ranger that only have about 1000 miles on them that I am going to sell.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Yes I have had both and they were both worthless. I actually have a set of 285/75/16 KO2s on my recently purchased Ranger that only have about 1000 miles on them that I am going to sell.
im currently running a almost bald set that i got used so idk how well they actually do but a buddy of mine had them on his yoda he loved them but i dont think id buy them anyway cuz at 15 without a steady job $1800 tires arnt in the budget right now lol

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
i had an old set of falken wildpeak ATs and they did great on the roads with ice and about two inches of snow but as soon as i needed to go the deep snow or mud they turned into drag slicks

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
These on my B2:

LT | MT CLAW 245/75R16 10PLY REMOLD USA with the Kedge

I have been buying these retread tires in various sizes since they originally used the green diamonds, which were better imho. They no longer support the LT235/75r15 tires, so, I bought these, have not used them as of yet, so, I can not personally vouch for them:

LT235/75R15 Retread Competition MT 6PLY

I bought them a year ago, they were $505 delivered for five tires.

If they work out while off road and towing, then I might try these, with the winter traction, which look interesting:

LT245/75R16 Retread Extreme MT

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you live in an area that gets snow, you might want to consider two sets of tires. MTs tend to not be snow and ice friendly.

I think the closest all around MT out there now is the BFG KM3. They have had some good reviews. I know that Jim Oaks likes Cooper and ran a set when he had the Loan Ranger to test and review. I forget which model he had though. There should be something in the articles section about it.

If you heavy off road a lot, MTs are a good choice. If it tends to be lighter or a once or twice a month thing, ATs might be a better choice. I found the KO2 to work just fine for me but I don’t mud bog either.

Milkman5687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Here's mine. Did tires and wheels recently the tires are kumho road venture at52 245/75/16 (stock size) . Wheels are stock 16" size but 1" wider (8" wide). Vision turbine
I'll take more pics this afternoon if wanted. This was when I picked her up from the alignment right after the install.

Attachments

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
When I bought my '21 I put a set of kenda klever m/ts on it. Set of 4 32"ers shipped to my door was 520$ and they come with a 50k mile warranty. They were awesome as a mud tire, and would definitely make it to 50k with 5k mile rotations. They were however, the only tires I've driven on that honestly scared me in the snow.

I had a very similar set of tires on my '10 the last year I had it... Achilles desert hawk m/ts... while the tread pattern on those was almost a carbon copy of the kendas... they were MUCH better in the snow..weirdly. they probably only would of lasted 30k miles though.

That_4.0_ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0, 2.9
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
If you live in an area that gets snow, you might want to consider two sets of tires. MTs tend to not be snow and ice friendly.

I think the closest all around MT out there now is the BFG KM3. They have had some good reviews. I know that Jim Oaks likes Cooper and ran a set when he had the Loan Ranger to test and review. I forget which model he had though. There should be something in the articles section about it.

If you heavy off road a lot, MTs are a good choice. If it tends to be lighter or a once or twice a month thing, ATs might be a better choice. I found the KO2 to work just fine for me but I don’t mud bog either.
I’m gonna be doing more off-roading when the trucks 4x4 is sorted out but it’s still gonna be my off and on daily and around here we get a lot of mud and snow so the I figured MTs on the ranger should be ok because in snow conditions that it can’t drive in very well I’ll just use my f250 with ATs

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
You check out the goodyear duratracs?

My boss runs them on his plow truck. Seem to bite good in about everything, cant speak for their mud performance but they look like they would self clean decent.

Ive always been a BFG A/T fan but yes they arnt the best in mud.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Depends what you wanna do?

I usually check out tires on local trucks that look like they do what I want my truck to do.

Having said that, a lot trucks around here have toyo, cooper or falken.

I have the Falken Wildpeak LT. Good tire on dry paved/dirt road, have not tried in snow. Not good in mud/rain.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Ive always been a BFG A/T fan but yes they arnt the best in mud.
This is true. Here's an example..

20230105_154550.jpg

This is a picture of my truck 'stuck' just about an hour ago. The ground is solid.. it's just the top inch or two is mushy once you put 2.5 tons on it. Even with the rear end locked the tires were just spinning. While I probably could of just put er' to the wood and spun my way to hell out of there.. realistically Needed 4x4.

I do have general grabbers.. but.. same difference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals