• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Little Tranny Help Please

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 02, 3.0, I recently removed the 4r44E trans after the motor let go. While the trans was out we installed a shift kit, oversized servos, & did a visiual inspection on the trans as far as wear on any components, and installed a new higher stall convertor. Everything looked good in the trans & prior to the motor letting go the thing shifted like new & had no problems, Fluid has been changed at recomended service & was very clean at the time the motor blew, There was hardly any fines in the pan & very clean. Now after the above install items I am getting the OD flashing light, we read the codes with a scanner & they are 735 & 741. From test drives the truck will not lock up the convertor, OD seems to function normal as I can toggle the OD button & the transmission drops in & out of OD, like it should, No slippage in any gear, all gears engage quickly as they should & all shifts are nice & firm with no flares or anything odd. It does not palce itself in limp mode either when the light starts flashing. If you dirve the truck below 50 mph the light will stay off. Locking up the convertor seems to be my only problem. I have also called the convertor manufacturer to verify that they did send me a lockup convertor.

Any help with the 735 & 741 codes & diagnosis will be greatly appreciated.
I do have the TSG manual but have not been able to pinpoint the direction to go in solving this issue.

Sorry for the long post just want to give you guys as much info as possible to help solve this

Thanks in advance

JP02XLT

Bruce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
If it is a lockup problem..i hope you didnt leave the scarf cut sealing ring off of pump stator(the end that goes into converter)cause that is the seal for the lockup clutch inside converter.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I made sure on the convertor install that I was Very careful & slid the convertor straight on, It was installed with the trans sitting on the bench. I have been down that road before, I really need to know what the codes are that it set, cannot beleive they are not in the ATSG manual.

Thanks

JP02xlt

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
First, you have a 5R44E.

P0735 is SSA, SSB, SSC, SSD or internal parts 5th gear error No 5th gear.

P0741 TCC TCC slippage detected The PCM picked up an excessive amount of TCC slippage during normal vehicle operation.

Pull the valve body off and recheck EVERTHING. The servo's are problably OK due to the fact that DTC P0732 is not being set. If the O/D servo was bad, you'd have no 2nd gear as well.

I'll bet one of those " hockey stick " shaped retaining pins is missing or in the wrong spot or a stuck valve or misassembled valve train.

Good luck.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i dont mean to be stupid or anything but the more i read about auto tranny probs im glad im doing the a4ld to m50 swap...

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, I do hate the hockey stick pins as they fall out very easy, were pulling the pan soon & triple check everything.

Thanks for the code descriptions.

JP02XLT

CGordon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
JP02XLT,

Just wondering you found a fix for P0741? Hopefully you did and you can share the solution. Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals