• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Little C5 help please...

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I noticed when I went to the offroad park on Feb 19 that at the end of the day, going up steep hills the trans started slipping then catching and so on. I don't drive my truck very much and have only put 50 miles on it since then, but decided to take my daughter out today after school and it did it up one hill, again.
After washing the truck I checked the trans fluid (while the b2 was running) and it was halfway between the full and add. I added some anyone and haven't driven it yet.
Anyone have an idea? I hope I didn't burn something up wheelin as I don't have the money to rebuild it and finding a c5/tcase might be a little difficult.

bmob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i assume its automatic by what your saying (if you can check the level I assume you mean with the dipstick)

A while back with my auto tranny it would slip on hills and what happened was the filter was partially clogged and up the hill it would clog and stop a portion of fluid from getting to the torque converter. for around $15 u can get a new filter and seal and just replace that.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep!

Could be any of numerous problems.. By far the most common is a dirty filter..
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Pull the pan and look for large shavings but at this stage change the filter and oil. I`m not sure if you can drain the torque converter by removing the inspection plate and pulling the plug. Dont worry too much about small shavings and at this stage normally just a new filter and oil is all you can do if it goes tits you can go to plan B. If after you replace the pan and it is dripping oil from the bell housing your gonna want to pull the tranny and change the pump seal or if the transfer is over full the oil is going there. Your gonna want to determine where the oil is going for sure.

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
the trans only has 51k miles on it and it's the original trans. I'm not sure if my friend did anything with the trans before I bought it. I will try and get a new filter this week and get it installed.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
the trans only has 51k miles on it and it's the original trans. I'm not sure if my friend did anything with the trans before I bought it. I will try and get a new filter this week and get it installed.
When you go and get the filter kit look at the shape of the pan gasket in the kit is the same as your tranny before you drop the pan.

WesB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the advice

1984broncoduce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
my dad works with the guys from TCI transmissions sometimes, and the guy told me not to change my filter because all the dirt and grim build up will seize up your trans in a year or so

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I heard that you are suppose to change your auto tranny fluid/filter every 12,000 miles.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Something's wrong. Right?

The C5 is a C4 with garnish. The C4 is available with a big-block bellhousing because it was available on the 351M. The 460 guys build the C4 and use it and love it.

Whatever problems you are having are because you have a really old machine. It can easily be made to work right--the C5 is really-really the strongest transmission ever installed in a Ford Ranger. It's not even close. A C4 behind a 460 is good--an M50d-r1 behind a 460 would be a weapon of mass destruction. An M50D-R2 behind a 460 would be the same. You have the strongest tranny possible. But if it doesn't work right, you need to get it fixed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals