• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Lima drifting build

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I want to sniff eco boost cans via m.s. to build Ms based emulaters for cake powertrain swap potential......but dirtys can is ok too.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Im curious how you are going to get more turning out of this. Maybe I missed the post but if im remember you need like 60° of turning radius.

SloRanger23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Im curious how you are going to get more turning out of this. Maybe I missed the post but if im remember you need like 60° of turning radius.
When I did the 95 spindle swap/ 12” rotor upgrade, I shaved the bump stops down. The caliper comes close to hitting but does not touch. From what I remember it seems that my ranger has a sharper/ tighter turn radius than any of the MR2s, G37, and 240sx I’ve owned in the past.

Last edited:

SloRanger23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I want to sniff eco boost cans via m.s. to build Ms based emulaters for cake powertrain swap potential......but dirtys can is ok too.
No need to steal the secrets behind Ford EDIS, the cats out the bag on the technology! It would be nice to have factory tuning on a different setup.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Edis is cavepig. I can piggyback that push come to shove.

Working oak style systems with full can integration....not so easy. No time or room in my three remaining brain cells for that.

SloRanger23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Edis is cavepig. I can piggyback that push come to shove.

Working oak style systems with full can integration....not so easy. No time or room in my three remaining brain cells for that.
I didn’t even know that ecu got hijacked until I saw your post. People I know go standalone but the build are from the 90s

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Standalone is deadly simple on OBD1.

Later stuff.... ehhhhhhhhh

If it was simple enough, I would already have one on my 2011.

I'm planning a tuner due to complexity of megasquirting it.

Took me three days to build, wire, and base tune (well enough to drive at least) my 1988s ecm. I had to write the tune from scratch as no 2.9 tunes existed.

It was the first time i megasquirted anything.

SloRanger23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Standalone is deadly simple on OBD1.

Later stuff.... ehhhhhhhhh

If it was simple enough, I would already have one on my 2011.

I'm planning a tuner due to complexity of megasquirting it.

Took me three days to build, wire, and base tune (well enough to drive at least) my 1988s ecm. I had to write the tune from scratch as no 2.9 tunes existed.

It was the first time i megasquirted anything.
That’s great news. I have a base turbo tune. The Ms3x was bought second hand but had came of a 2.3t and verified working on JimStim. I’m going all GM sensors, part because of calibration ease of use and part because I can transition this system to an LS build. My motor will be Coil on/near plug with smart coils and the rest sensors are standard: CLT, IAT, TPS,IAC, and triggers. The throttlebody is Ford but that’s easy calibration. I haven’t figured out the VSS or Fuel level yet. My goal is to buy a welder this month and clean up the wiring, install odd parts and start the Valvetrain/ motor build. But we will see🤷🏻‍♂️

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Vss can be made freehand.

Make a tooth wheel. Bicycle sprockets work. My ms let's me program for tooth count, etc.

**** any hall effect will work.

Why spend the scratch on sensors? Pay the $2 to get in the junkyard, buy $30 worth of 3g alternator swap parts, and toss the sensor strings out of pontiac GTPs in your toolbox.

I'm not an advocate of theft. I'm just smoke the ganja and get forgetful. Sue me. ✌🏿

But junkyard sensors are better than advance ZoNAPA sensors, period.

Oem is your best sensor, with the only, maybe, but probs not, exception of only stoopid expensive aftermarket, or diy ones. Yes, you may have to snag three or four. You can say pay or get other shit and cry stoner. Up to you.

Hard but not impossible means is to call Texas instruments. If you get a rare one that you can't source, or want to diy one for MS, or obsolete oem, just call them, ask to speak to an application engineer, and tell them what you need.

Then homebrew.

This is how I fix oilfield tools. If it applies to neutron reactors, it applies here.

Hard. But not impossible.

It was a natural crossover to me. Oilfield sensors on our equipment is usually repurposed automotive.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
The best way I could describe megasquirt is it is an engineers tool. It's a hard line directly to your equipment that bends to your will, for better or worse.

Spiderman aunt penny quote.

SloRanger23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The best way I could describe megasquirt is it is an engineers tool. It's a hard line directly to your equipment that bends to your will, for better or worse.

Spiderman aunt penny quote.
I have learned a lot and still have a lot more to learn. I’m not going Napa on this, will be using oem gm sensors and factory ford for the tb. I figure new wiring/ sensors less headache later to chase down. Probably going VDO or JY flex fuel sensor. If you check out my photos you’ll see a 36-1, which is stock on a 95 ranger 2.3 harmonic balancer. Do you think I can get away with crank angle sensor and cam sync off my 92 2.3 ranger motor?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I have learned a lot and still have a lot more to learn. I’m not going Napa on this, will be using oem gm sensors and factory ford for the tb. I figure new wiring/ sensors less headache later to chase down. Probably going VDO or JY flex fuel sensor. If you check out my photos you’ll see a 36-1, which is stock on a 95 ranger 2.3 harmonic balancer. Do you think I can get away with crank angle sensor and cam sync off my 92 2.3 ranger motor?

More than likley. Msextra forums are typically a bit douchey, but if you follow their protocol, they'll give you a straight answer. Quite a few pros on there.

SloRanger23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
More than likley. Msextra forums are typically a bit douchey, but if you follow their protocol, they'll give you a straight answer. Quite a few pros on there.
Thanks for the advice, MSextra is endless information and advice and I go deep down rabbit holes because I always find something different to learn than what I was looking for. I was hoping someone with a Ranger could give real world experience. MS seems to finicky and sometimes not everything is straightforward and the software has to be manipulated to get the result.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
All depends.

The great part about MS is that there's a ton of information out there.

The hard part about MS is that there's a ton of information out there.

www.veryuseful.com will become your best friend. You can decipher tons from the AL9 ecm from there, which is the backbone of all EEC-IV tunes.

SloRanger23

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Had to get pics of the set up. The brackets for the 12” rotors caught on the bump stop and I basically could barely turn. Used an angle grinder to reshape them and I have better turn radius then before and better than most cars. I left some bumpstop so the caliper wouldn’t hit and compress on a u turn, leaving me without brakes until I pumped the brakes. You can see the original in the picture for comparison.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals