• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

lift/leveling kits

Durham Racing

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
i have been looking at leveling kits on ebay and was wondering what a torsion bar key does? i understand that u can crank down your T-bars and it will lift the front up, but doesn't that cause premature wear on the sides of your tires. i found a couple of kits on ebay that have the blocks for the rear and new T-bar keys.

what exactly does the blocks in the rear do to my truck?
what is the difference between cranking down my T-bars or T-bar keys?

thanks

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Blocks are spacers that go in between the leaf springs and the rear axle to raise the truck up. Blocks are a bad idea though because they also tend to induce more wheelhop and spring windup under acceleration (that and Rangers already use a small block from the factory, you do not want to stack them for safety reasons). An extended-length rear spring shackle is a much better option that has much fewer side-effects on handling & performance.

Re-indexed torsion keys do essentially the same thing as just cranking the bolts in. Except in rare cases where the bolts are already close to maxed out, there's usually no need for them, your stock keys should have plenty of adjustment for lifting the frontend up to a height that's not detrimental to your axle half-shafts and balljoints.
2" above stock is generally safe. A wheel alignment should then take care of any issues that might affect your tires.

Hope that helps.

99_3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.GO!
Transmission
Automatic
The lift block in the rear is a spacer between your leaf spring and your axle. It lifts up the back end depending on how big of one you get. Stay away from the torsion keys, just do a torsion twist instead. Jack the front end of the vehicle so that the tires are a few inches off the ground (no weight on the suspension at full droop) and tighten down the torsion key adjust bolt a few turns. Leave atleast 1/4 inch of thread below the plate that the nut threads into. Lifting the front too high will cause premature wear on your cv shafts. Doing this you can get approximately 2 to 2.5 inches of lift and clear 31 inch tires with ease. Any more questions just use the search feature. :icon_thumby:

EDIT: 4x4 got it for ya.

danger_ranger05

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Who ever invented aftermarket torsion keys needs to be severly beaten!:thefinger:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals