• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Leaking Injectors?

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I have a 94 2.3 with almost 98,000 miles on it. It smells like it is running rich, and my gas mileage is slowly getting worse. I have replaced the O2 sensor, air filter, plugs, and wires recently but my mileage has never gotten better. Could it be that my injectors are leaking? Would that also cause the gas smell from the exhaust?

Thanks for any ideas

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Is it loading up at idle - rough idle - black smoke ??

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
It does have a some what rough idle that was fixed when I had the head re-built, however it has gotten rough again and I also noticed when I push the clutch in while moving, and drift for any length, the engine revs up and down quickly about 500 RPMS. It doesn't really have any smoke, and, not sure if this means anything, on cold days it hardly makes any steam, but I always thought that was because of my short exhaust which I also don't know if that could be hurting more than helping.

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm not a professional - but my '89 has over 200k on the original injectors so I wouldn't think your injectors are leaking - I would check your TPS and possible a sticking EGR valve I wouldn't think your short exhaust is affecting A/F mixture - You may also want to clean the air idle control valve and MAF sensor

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I replaced the EGR valve actually not too long ago, maybe about a year and I replaced the TPS a few months ago. (that's the sensor that has the weird circle that the throttle goes into?) That is why I was thinking the injectors, I have a new fuel filter to put in, but I didn't think that would effect the MPG. I don't know what else there could be, would the FPR have any effect?

Also, the reason I had my head re-built is my cat collapsed and clogged and put a lot of pressure on the valves and I loss a lot of compression on 3 of the 4 cylinders, would that increase in pressure that effected the valves also effect the injectors?

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Was it back firing through the intake - that might affect the injectors - excuse my ignorance - what is the FPR

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
Fuel Pressure Regulator, I don't think it was back firing but, I tried not to drive too much with the bad cat and not 100% sure.

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I don't know the symptoms of a bad FPR but I would think it would be starving for gas not flooding the combustion chamber. What do the spark plugs look like (ie black,tan ). I just had a bad primary side coil go bad and it was driving me crazy - i thought it might have been a bad injector or two but it turned out the #2 & 3 towers were not giving any voltage to the plugs - How does it start and idle in the mornings ?

Last edited:

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I'm not sure what they look like right now, but last time I did the plugs they looked ok, but I really don't remember. I will have to pull one to check.

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Just curious - what kind of mileage were you getting before - With 33"s on there it couldn't have been too great to begin with ?? - I know my mileage went down considerably when I put 225/75-15's on my '89

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I use to get 18-20, then it started going down, i know i easily got 150 miles at half tank, then it dropped to 130, now latley its around 120. All with the 33's. I use to have 30 in, and I put in 4.56 gears which hurt because it was running high RPM's alot, so the 33's almost put it back to stock.

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
One thing that happens in colder climates during the winter months is that the oil companies oxygenate the gas - do you generally run the same brand fuel - also they are mixing ethanol in with some fuel and this also detroys the mileage you were used to during the spring/summer and fall - not sure where you're located geographicly

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
I usually use the same 2 gas stations, and never noticed a difference between the two before, I am located in Maryland, just south of Baltimore City. I think I'm going to try pulling the fuel rail with the injectors still on, and turning on the key and pressurizing the system to see if they seep at all. Not sure what other sensors there are that i could replace or check.

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm from Pasadena !!!!!:icon_rofl: How are you going to keep the injectors in the rail when you pressurize the system - you could be asking for trouble - Like FIRE !

Last edited:

Buckeyes903

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 (140)
Transmission
Manual
No way! haha, I'm from Millersville. I'm not really sure, but I read on another fourm of people who have done that. Knowing my luck, as soon as I turn the key they will pop out and shoot gas everywhere.:dntknw:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals