• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kobalt Tools

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Anyone have any experience with the warranty for their hand tools? I bought a set for my brother for xmass for cheap on black Friday and didn't know if it was worth keeping. We have always bought craftsman tools because if i break any of the tools, i take it to sears and they hand me a new one usually no questions asked. When i opened to the tool set to put it together it wants you to register the tools, and they they will ship you a new tool, but they want to charge you shipping and handling, something like $5 a socket. I called lowes and they said i could walk in and get it replaced, but there seems to be some disagreement other places i have looked. So has anyone delt with returning a tool to lowes, and if so how did it go.

This is the set i bought him for xmass, as his last set of craftsman tools got stolen :annoyed:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_338518-22328-85183_4294707909__?productId=3364134&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=?Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&facetInfo=

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Take it in and see what they say!! What is wrong with the socket???? Is it a manufacturing defect or did he abuse the tool?

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Take it in and see what they say!! What is wrong with the socket???? Is it a manufacturing defect or did he abuse the tool?
Nothing is broken, its never been used as I just bought it. Was just seeing if anyone had has expierence with their warranty recently.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Nothing is broken, its never been used as I just bought it. Was just seeing if anyone had has expierence with their warranty recently.

i believe kobalt is made by snap on and carries the same warranty could be wrong though...

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Not sure, but I did check out their half-inch breaker bars a few years ago, and the Kobalt one had more metal in the handle/flex joint than Craftsman's. I would not hesitate to put on a cheater pipe on a Kobalt breaker bar and man handle it!

BTW if you have never used it, then why are you using the Warranty dept? I would try a return first if you have the receipt.

Truth be told, the warranty is a RIP OFF! If you have a socket and use their warranty via mail, the handling charge covers their cost on the socket. They pay around $0.20 for a socket from Taiwan or china. Add another $1.50 or so to mail it and they make money every time someone uses their 'warranty'.

You could go to the local Lowes store and buy the replacements cheaper. (and have TWO sockets, never get rid of sockets, EVER!) But if your at a lowes store you might as well swap 'em out. Their policy is to accept and replace broken Kobalt tool items if you have the original receipt showing date of sale and store purchased from; no questions asked .

If you don’t have the receipt and purchased the tool by use of a credit card and provide that card to the returns counter they can look up date of purchase and amount paid. They’ll give you a new item of the same model number or allow you to upgrade paying the difference in price. If you desire to sellect a lessor item they’ll give you a store card for the amount of the original purchase.

Generally, I HATE Lowes, I hate what they stand for, and how they charge the highest prices they can get away with.(each store prices things differently pending on local competition or lack thereof)

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Not sure, but I did check out their half-inch breaker bars a few years ago, and the Kobalt one had more metal in the handle/flex joint than Craftsman's. I would not hesitate to put on a cheater pipe on a Kobalt breaker bar and man handle it!

BTW if you have never used it, then why are you using the Warranty dept? I would try a return first if you have the receipt.

Truth be told, the warranty is a RIP OFF! If you have a socket and use their warranty via mail, the handling charge covers their cost on the socket. They pay around $0.20 for a socket from Taiwan or china. Add another $1.50 or so to mail it and they make money every time someone uses their 'warranty'.

You could go to the local Lowes store and buy the replacements cheaper. (and have TWO sockets, never get rid of sockets, EVER!) But if your at a lowes store you might as well swap 'em out. Their policy is to accept and replace broken Kobalt tool items if you have the original receipt showing date of sale and store purchased from; no questions asked .

If you don’t have the receipt and purchased the tool by use of a credit card and provide that card to the returns counter they can look up date of purchase and amount paid. They’ll give you a new item of the same model number or allow you to upgrade paying the difference in price. If you desire to sellect a lessor item they’ll give you a store card for the amount of the original purchase.
I really think you missed the whole point of the original post.

He bought this set for his brother. Now he is wondering if it is worth having around for himself as well, or if the warranty is going to be more hassle than Craftsman's warranty. He doesn't want to go get himself a set or keep this one if the warranty is going to be a hassle since Sears doesn't ask any questions except "do we have one to replace this with?".

Generally, I HATE Lowes, I hate what they stand for, and how they charge the highest prices they can get away with.(each store prices things differently pending on local competition or lack thereof)

Yeah, hate to break it to you but EVERYONE does that. Walmart, Sheetz, Sunonco, Wegmans, Sears, Home Depot. Every single chain store in the country does that.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I really think you missed the whole point of the original post.

He bought this set for his brother. Now he is wondering if it is worth having around for himself as well, or if the warranty is going to be more hassle than Craftsman's warranty. He doesn't want to go get himself a set or keep this one if the warranty is going to be a hassle since Sears doesn't ask any questions except "do we have one to replace
This, I was trying to figure out if their warranty is any good, because if not I am going to take it back and get him a craftsman set where I know 100% that he won't have problems getting it replaced, I already have a big tool set.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I bought that 227 piece kit for my wife on black Friday. On my way to the truck I noticed the drawers started to slide out. I looked and realized one side of the tool box was missing (it's plastic). I went back in the store, but it was the last one. They called around and nobody had any left. I took it so I could get the price, and was going to return it before Christmas when they got more. However, your link says they no longer carry it online, so I'm really hoping I can get this worked out before Christmas.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I wouldnt worry about breaking them..... i have not been able to yet and i have tried.

Road Angels

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
any tool is better than no tool, since any socket fits thats not a problem and the box or combination wrenchs well only if your abusing them do they break lets face it a 3 foot piece of pipe on a 3/8 drive is hard on any brand, if you got a good price then there keepers, if you break one go to sears, and replace it I have snap-on, sears, Huskey and Thorsen, my craftsmen I use the most cause the snap-on wenchs have a thin shank on there combinations and hurts my old hands, hell a I have 2 double stack 5 foot boxes and a kobalt would be ok in my box no matter what the warranty is

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ive not heard of anyone busting kobalt stuff, supposed to be pretty good. if your so hard on things that your already worried about warranty- then go to harbor freight, Chinese made, American tested, and an exchange policy that would make walmart blush.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
for the money, they are decent tools... I have some Kobalt stuff in my travel set.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
My set that stays home is mostly Snap-On...
but for tools that stay in my truck in the hood sometimes.... No way.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
My set that stays home is mostly Snap-On...
but for tools that stay in my truck in the hood sometimes.... No way.
My set that stays at work is Snap-on. My set that stays at home is stolen.

My set that stays under the hood is Chinese. And some brake line fittings. I have those under the hood too. And an O2 sensor ground bolt hanging in the cowl.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals