• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Kicker Truck Box Worth The Money?

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm not "taking you on" as this isn't a playground and we aren't in 5th grade lol... But it is true that the post was hard to follow, especially if the person you're trying to help doesn't have alot of what might seem to people familiar with car audio as common knowledge. All that being said, the build quality of those boxes may be fine, but for the most part they aren't even built to their own specs as far as internal volume, port tuning, or port area. Now thats understandable in really small sealed truck boxes, but most companies ported prefabs are tuned in the upper 40's even into 50's. Which as I'm sure you're aware is far from ideal for daily listening. So no, technically there is nothing wrong with their boxes... but I think anyone would be happier with a spec built box.

I apologize for coming off abrasive, I respect your trying to help people out, as that is also what I was aiming to do.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
fair enuff,

and yes, alot of boxes that come from the manufactures are build "wrong" some of the sealed truck boxes arnt even fugable for the sub thats put in them. ported boxes are normally pretty good. some times i forget my own learning curve on making boxes, it really is a skill. but i see a lot of people want to build a box to save money, and half the time it does just the opposite, cause they dont build it right or its not made perfectly, and thay have to redo it or fill it alot. i know the shop i work at will make you a small "normal" wedge for 75 bucks, so it can be kinda "custom" but with normal sizes. and it will be right the first time, but if you feel you get the "bug" learning how to make boxes and have good angles, is a great skill, but it will not come cheep.

kinville

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You forget the other bug... That is that once you get even the slightest bit serious with car audio you'll want more, and you'll want it bigger and louder... So somewhere down the road the mistakes will pay for themselves, two or three builds in the future if not immediately.

I think the best prefabs have to be JLs, tho I'm no huge fan of theirs, especially for the price... REs are probably at least decent. Kickers are well contructed, but tuned too high, except for the very largest of their L5/L7 prefabs maybe, and RFs... Well I stand by the trash comment on their boxes LOL... But there's still others that I don't know much about... Like Boston's with the passive radiator. I do see where you're coming from on the right here, right now, having something bumping today thing... I guess the best advice to the prospective buyer is research, research, research if you want to have the best chance of not regretting your purchase.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well still, I dont think i will get bit by the sound bug because i cant. If i go any more than this, it would hurt. I have a medical condition and have very sensitive ears. so I think my set-up will be good. I might add a capacitor when I get the money. Still, could I use the CVR instead of the CVT? That cvr is much cheaper than the cvt.

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
check out my photobucket, i have a picture of my 88 xlt behind the seats from the program SketchUp

i measured, and created that back little shelf.

if you want i can send you the file over email or something, and you can edit it from there.

sketchup is really nice, user friendly, nice GUI, and not too technical for beginners like myself. i even got to color coordinate.
That was very helpful thank you! but could someone give me dimensions for a good box that will hit in the 20's and on the bottom be no more than 7 inches out, have a mounting depth of at least 4-5/16, no more than 12.5 inches high, and be angled? This would be awsome if I could pull this off.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
That was very helpful thank you! but could someone give me dimensions for a good box that will hit in the 20's and on the bottom be no more than 7 inches out, have a mounting depth of at least 4-5/16, no more than 12.5 inches high, and be angled? This would be awsome if I could pull this off.
i have one made on sketchup...

6.5 inches deep at bottom
3 inches deep at top
12 inches across the face (where the front part of sub would rest, so you can fit a 10" and below, but not a 12")
12.25 inches tall (in case you measured wrong on height or something)

if you want me to edit it, or email it to you i can.

edit:
fail.. i think the depth at the top is 3 9/16... but since the sub is angled sitting in the box, idk how to find out if it will fit.

also, how do i find volume of angled subwoofer enclosures?

Last edited:

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SWEETNESS!!! but how wide will it be? i dont think that that will satisfy the min cu.ft. space a cvt needs. Will it?

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
the min sealed for the cvt is 1 cf

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
well i have been making sub boxes ALL day on autoCAD and the most Sq ft internall is .756 sq. Ft. Could someone do better than that? and still have it slanted? The best dimensions i found were 13 inches high (restricted by truck), 27 inches wide (restricted by truck), 7 inches deep (also restricted), 4-1/4 inch top (dont really want to go any more) and the thickness is 9/16 wood.

Will this make the sub sound pretty good? It is a heck of alot bigger than the kicker box.

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
thats the best you can get, considering you only have one number you can change, but i want to know why you are limited in your height?

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
because on the back near the window, 13 inches up theres a nice 1 inch bump that goes out then back in in the moulding. I wonder if i could cut throgh it? anybody know?

But will the box make the sub hit in the lows pretty good?

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
thats what i was thinking about. i had the same thing wiht putting my 15'' in. i double stacked mdf and smothed the corners down to fit for the bump,

ie build the box the hight you need, then cut a 27x13 sheet and put it on the back of the box so there wont be a gap and it will look "formed" when you carpet it

Darkhorse88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
i would choose another sub if you cant get enough air space. the RE's 10's only need .5

a-5 freak

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thats what i was thinking about. i had the same thing wiht putting my 15'' in. i double stacked mdf and smothed the corners down to fit for the bump,

ie build the box the hight you need, then cut a 27x13 sheet and put it on the back of the box so there wont be a gap and it will look "formed" when you carpet it
NOW THAT! sounds like a plan! How much extra board ,Money wise, do you think that will cost?

I want a 12 so i can hit good in the lower 30's and 20's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals