• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Key lock cylinder replacement

marriedmanw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello... I'm having some difficulties attempting to remove the key lock cylinder from a 1994 Ford Ranger 4x4 XL. It has a 2.3L engine. I don't think it has airbags. The reason I'm wanting to replace the key lock cylinder is because the brass collar is broken, and I have to line it up to insert the key for the hole. I have removed the upper and lower steering column covers and have been looking for a brass pin to press. So far I have been turning the key to run and pressing any type of brass pin with paper clip.
Should I be disconnecting the battery, and turning the key to full position?

The Haynes manual isn't very clear and I would appreciate further guidance with this project. Pictures would be very helpful

-Michael

zamos

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Their should be a litte hole on the underside of the column - no bigger than an 1/8th of an inch - you will need a punch to go up inside to depress the catch pin and pull the ignition switch/cylinder out - I imagine its the same as my 89' . Good luck - P.S. the hole is only about 2" away from where you insert the key and directly in line - you should be able to see where the pin catches on you new cylinder - hope this helps !

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like Zamos said but, that is with the key in the "on" position.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
lock cylinder

Michael,

Did the suggestions you received work? Chiltons' doesn't help much. I have the same problem. I just never take the key out. Don't need to be stranded because of the key. Let me know.

Christopher

marriedmanw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Christopher,

The suggestions in this thread didn't work for my application, and according to the Haynes manual it wasn't making any sense to me. I had removed the upper and lower shields and didn't see any "pins" to push to get the lock cylinder out. I don't know how to describe what I saw, but I felt like the only way to get to it was to pull the steering wheel and open the steering case. I never did that and gave up.
The chrome wing collar was broken, which would allow it to freely spin and caused the collar to be lined up with the key before inserting.
Sorry to take so long to reply to your question. I hope you're able to figure out how to remove the lock cylinder.
-Michael

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
When you have the column covers off, look at the column underneath were the lock cylinder is, theres a small brass pin, turn the ignition to the on position an press the pin in with a small punch or allen wrench, and while you push up on the pic pull the whole lock cylinder out.

Sorry for the low quality pics, all I got is a $20 China pos camera.

The brass pin

Pushing on the pin with an allen wrench

a pic of the pin with The cylinder pulled out of column.

Last edited:

SmittySTX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OMG Im having the biggest problem with my key lock cylinder, there is not pin insight. I have a 91 Ford Ranger STX with tilt steering and it has a 4.0L. I do not know how to remove the key lock cylinder theres no pin there at all. HELP PLEASE!!!!!

james_joshua

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I had a similar problem. I had to pull the steering wheel and have the key in the ignition (not sure witch position), but I definitely had to pull off the wheel.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've replaced many key switches, in all kinds of vehicles. I've never had to pull the wheel on a ford. You will probaby have to remove the cover. There are screws that go up from the bottom. Once you have pulled the screws, you will have to pull down on the bottom cover to pop it loose. If you have the key, turn it to the "on" position. (turn it all the way to start and let off, the spring will turn it to the proper position). The key will then be in line with the pin. the pin will be on the bottom. The pin does not come out, it is spring loaded in the key cylinder itself. All you will see is a hole in which you have to stick something into to push the pin in to release the cylinder. The cylinder will then slide right out.
If you have no key the process is considerably more difficult and, probably should not be discussed over the internet. Although it can be done without destroying the column.

james_joshua

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'm telling you what I HAD to do. I bought the lock cylinder from Auto Zone and it was mandatory that the wheel be removed because on my 1993 the pin hole is right behind the large steel ring inside the steering wheel.

james_joshua

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have replaced them on other fords and have never had to pull the wheel either but on this one it was a necessary job.

scarface

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
old thread i know but
i don't have a pin hole under the cylinder in my 89 or my 91 donor
no clue how to get it out

fl-ramper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hello everyone. I ran into a problem today. I have a 1995 Ford Ranger with a 3.0 5spd. I went to turn the car off and it did not turn off. The key would not rotate to the off position. I took it back home and disconnected the battery and stalled the car to get it to shut off. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

cliff

oetinger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
its an old thread.... but I lost my keys for my 89 broncoII ... I had no problem getting the door open.
Ive send my door lock so they will make me a new key for the doors...
but for the ignition, I ran into a problem. I want to change it with a new one, which is pretty cheap. but to remove the old one, I need to put it on the 'ON' position... but I dont have any key????
what am I supposed to do??
thank a lot...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals