• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

keep blowing center u-joint in rear driveshaft

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
oh by the way, this truck is not a thrasher. i drive it like i am 44 and want it to last fore ever. no real wheelin YET.

i got the truck roughly 6 months ago and after about a month had to change the center u-joint.i did change them all with napa heavy dutys that are greasable. the guy i got the truck from said he had changed that 1 a couple months before. well it went bad again. luckily was able to drop and drive in "front wheel drive mode" when i changed it the first time it was frozen off kilter. now it just has slop. someone told me to make sure the motor was grounded and did do that. but a couple days ago was under it tightening everything becuase we where going to go wheelin and found the factory ground conected to the frame and block. any ideas. please help if you can. the carrier bearing????? it aint in like new condition but aint that bad either.

i am waiting for my new explorer 31 spline 8.8 disc braked rear end to show up, so kinda trying to stay away from the right way and just getting new driveline.

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Any vibrations before it fails ?? How are the angles ?? What condition is the rubber on the carrier bearing ??

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
within 5 miles it got bad, then settled down to just anoying. and by ten miles had it out. so got it all apart all the way to the carrier bearing just needing to be pressed off. the bearing spins with very little resistence. though it does look like it was spinning in the rubber "boot" that holds it. the rubber does need to be replaced ( i will replace all) now when i was driving in town to get to work to drop the rear drive line. it was popping cracking making all kinds of noise. but now that it is out, nothing is that bad.

angles are all factory. it is "body" lifted 3 inches.

i think it is the carrier rubber mount that let the driveline move where it wanted to. but please if any one has any ideas i am willing to try anything that makes sence.

it is hitting the trails this weekend even if i have winch up the hills and push down the other side

np205

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
get a one piece driveshaft and you can cure the problem for good.

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when i checked into that when i got the truck, i will have to get one made and i will do that but after i get the explorer rear and put in. :icon_thumby:

engdept

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You can take the 1 piece drive shaft from the Explorer and have it cut down to fit. Most drive line shops will cut down and balance a drive shaft for about $100.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
The shaft from the explorer would be shorter than the 1 piece shaft from a 98+ ranger

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ok. i will get one piece built when i get 8.8 in.:icon_thumby:

found the problem. when i replaced the u-joint it had reamed out the cap holder, it got worse from driving. so all i need is the slip yoke joint. i am hoping no more than 50.00$. if more than 50 i will swipe at junk yard.:pray:

86freebie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its on the road again. fixed right. 62.00 after tax. :birthday:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals