• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just wondering...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Body mount vs leaf spring bushing...

Are they the same...is one better than the other.

Reason I'm asking is that when I was mounting the 88 cab on the 96 frame there was a clearance issue with the steering column and I was just about to cut more out of the firewall when I realized that a one inch lift would clear the difference and allow the 96 steering column to work on the 88 cab.

So...I used hockey pucks...These were never used in a real game of hockey so they were perfect for what I needed...

Except now I wanted to make an honest woman out of her and use real lift part...and I happened to have a bag of leaf spring bushings with metal inserts that I figured would be much better than my Bobby Hull specials...or Brett Hull...as more recent...

So...are these leaf spring bushings and metal inserts the same, better or worse than real body lift parts...they look just like what I've seen in ads for lift kits except for some minor sculping of the edges and whatnot...and the leaf spring bushings have no breathe holes like some of the rubber mounts the OEM used.

I figured if the parts were tough enough to keep the suspension parts suspending things for dozens of years then they should be able to hold up as well or better than my pucking effort.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I used hockey pucks on my 84 till I went with a 2" BL. I never had any issues with the pucks. The lift blocks that come in a kit are almost the same material as the pucks (I have a 3" on my Explorer). As long as your not stacking blocks and none are torn or cracked, they should be O.K. for what your using them for. I have one puck per side on my Explorer on the front mounts (the ones that rust together....

Puck is on the bottom/lift block on top. This got rid of the metal and rubber bushing that the body bolt was rusted in (I had to cut the bolt to get it apart and used the new bolts with the BL kit)
Just my experience with Hockey Pucks.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
You will likely want to get something that won't deteriorate over time.

I used these on my truck; worked great.

http://zoneoffroad.com/zone-offroad-products-body-lift-blocks-1.25in-/2196
Thank you...I will see what the cost is to order these. I only actually was worried about the cab mounts but they appear inexpensive enough to do all 12...:icon_thumby:

I used hockey pucks on my 84 till I went with a 2" BL. I never had any issues with the pucks. The lift blocks that come in a kit are almost the same material as the pucks (I have a 3" on my Explorer). As long as your not stacking blocks and none are torn or cracked, they should be O.K. for what your using them for. I have one puck per side on my Explorer on the front mounts (the ones that rust together....

Puck is on the bottom/lift block on top. This got rid of the metal and rubber bushing that the body bolt was rusted in (I had to cut the bolt to get it apart and used the new bolts with the BL kit)
Just my experience with Hockey Pucks.
Good to hear from someone else who has used them successfully. I've read both good and bad about them and only did it as a test fit initially. They just didn't make it out of the truck since I put them in almost two years ago.

I only needed that 1" clearance and finding something similar to what BBII just posted wasn't easy...mostly because I didn't have a CC and also because everyone thinks Canadians are all wealthy and can afford to buy lift kits and pay $300 for them.

I did manage to source GR8 bolts that have come down in price since the last time I bought them...they were $2 per bolt and nut as opposed to the $12 they wanted in 2004 when I first did a cab swap.

Thanks for the input and I will see what I can come up with...right now I just found out I need to move the truck to another location...

I'm entering Fitch Bactor 7 at Red Alert so I need to do this ASAP...and this isn't going to be cheap because now I have to pay to store it...:bawling:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals