• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Just took my heads off today... (Huge pics)

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
...and it doesn't look pretty. Problem is, I'm not sure exactly what's wrong (yeah, I'm an idiot). My truck was running horrible, lost power, and started bellowing white smoke. Okay, blown head gasket I thought. The curious thing was, my engine started firing on only 5 cylinders. So, here's what I found after a long time of cursing at, beating and wrenching on my engine. (oh and the gaskets weren't damaged at all)

Heads off:

Left head:

Cylinders 1,2, and 3:

Right head:

4,5, and 6:

So... what would the problem and fix be? I'm at a loss :dunno:
Thanks guys.

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
i see carnage, all the cylinders arent even burning even. the white valves suggest pinging, the rest look rich as hell and even burning oil on the ones w/ heavy carbon in them. idk but thats def not good, lets see what the others have to say.

ibleedblue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did you do a compression test before tearing down? If so what were the results?

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That middle cylinder on the bottom head had a blown head gasket. Notice how the water cleans the piston and compression chamber. The head should be dipped,magnafuxed and resurfaced unless you are brave and want to take a chance. If your brave clean everything spotless and reassemble but you may not cure the problem.

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys for affirming my doubts...

and no, I kicked myself when I thought about it after I already tore half the engine apart but I forgot to compression test it :buttkick:

Hmmm... I don't think I want to spend money fixing the 3.0...

04 EDGE

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
lookes like this head is cracked

mixwell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I agree with 04 Edge.. Looks cracked. You should check it out to confirm if what we're seeing is a crack or maybe just a scratch or image issue.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
wow, that is one beat 3.0 :shok:

the left head got hot (lean?), hense the white valves. the right bank appears to be rich and/or eating oil.

i would throw a running junkyard motor at it. that thing doesnt even look like its worth getting into.

dmalle02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I plan on doing a compression test on my 94 3L.. dont mean to high jack the thread but i was wondering what the compression of each cylinder would be for a healthy engine? its got 162,000 km's on it. Also i have herd when doing compression test to let it turn over 3 times and also have been told to let it turn over 5 times which is correct? And then the hioghest reading is the cylinders compression?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
more important than the actual compression numbers is the percent difference between all 6 cylinders. ideally, no more than 10% variation is "good".

i like to see over 120PSI for best fuel economy and power.

turn the engine over until the pressure gauge stops climbing (usualy 3-5 times).

dmalle02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
ok good to know thanks for the help.. This may seem like a dumb question but i was wondering if any things such as air filter, plugs, etc could play an effect on the reading?

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
an extremely clogged air filter could give you a low reading. but i imagine if it was so clogged as to effect a compression test then your engine would be running very poorly, if at all.

you have to remove the spark plugs to do the compression test so, no, plugs will not effect it.

dmalle02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Oh sh*t lol i forgot u had to remove those i would have remembered come tomorrow haha.. Thanks again dude.. your help is appreciateD!

Chance

RIP - 10/7/2010
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'll get pics up in a few minutes verfying that crack... I believe its just a pine needle stuck to it but I'll double check. Yeah it is pretty beat... I bought it knowing it was run hard and proceeded to run it even harder and paid for it :( . I'm gonna look for a new truck or a junkyard 3.0 for the meantime... I'm thinking its time for a first gen explorer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals