• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

JET PERFORMANCE MODULE REVIEW & HP GAIN #s - 2.3L 5MT

The_Ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3Lima Twin-Spark
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys,

since this question gets asked a lot, I'm gonna go ahead and fill you guys in.

While the concensus on the forum has previously been that "they aren't worth the money", I'm gonna have to disagree with that sentiment.

This past Thursday I actually got around to installing mine on my 1994 Ranger 2.3L with a 5-speed manual trans. I have a few minor supporting mods-- relocated MAF and replaced airbox with a large K&N conical unit and replaced the engine-driven cooling fan with an electric fan (junkyard upgrade, total cost: under $50) and my truck is not equipped with power steering or AC.

I spoke to one of the reps at JET and actually got performance gain figures. Gain is +12hp at 3800rpm and +10lb/ft @4100, at the rear wheels.

I don't doubt those figures. Prior to installing the module, because of my oversize tires (235/75-15 basically) without gearing it to compensate for it, my O/D gear was almost unusable due to how gutless the engine is in factory form.

With the module installed, I'm able to use 5th on the highway nearly all the time if I'm faster than 65mph (55mph indicated).

Fuel economy definitely was improved, I've been getting 16-18 for a while now (highway, as my tires are not radials, apparently) and with the chip installed, the truck averaged 19.5mpg while driving from sea level in Seal Beach up into the mountains to Big Bear (7000-8000ft elev) and the truck did not struggle nearly as much as it used to when climbing hills.

I'm happy enough with my results that I'm going to be getting a JET module for another vehicle of mine.

So, that said and done, there you have it. Actual power+ figures and my experience with the chip. IMHO, it was worth the money for me, but those of you with an AT are on your own, but for MT, I certainly approve of the gains. Use google shopping and the part number to order the module online instead of going full MSRP. Would I pay MSRP on this? No. But would I pay 2 and a half Benjamins, based on my results? Yes.

Installing the module is a little tricky if you aren't aware of the access hole to get at the lower ECU retaining nut in the fender well (94-95 models only, the ECM is under the hood on the driver's side, sort of below the clutch master cylinder) You'll need to either cut a flap (not a hole, a flap) in your fender liner (if you live somewhere dry like I do, cutting a flap is fine) or pull it back so you can get a socket and an extension through, but you can only see the access hole after you disconnect the wiring harness and pull it out of the way. You must remove the fender liner or move it out of the way to use the access hole.

Anyways, hope this is useful and I'll be happy to answer any questions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals