• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is this dangerous to use in our trucks?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
In Sweden, where I come from, these are forbidden and it doesn’t matter if it’s a bus or your car. We was always told they where dangerous, but I am kind of split. On a parking lot they can be felt like a tool of heaven. And I can understand that if you using it in normal day traffic and having an accident, the force on that part will brake or get ripped out of your hands. What I can’t decide is if it will hamper in every day driving, not on a bus which a huge steering wheel but on a Ranger, and if there is more reason not to use it then using it....

EDA9AAE3-D4B1-400B-9C92-EDD9F309F386.jpeg

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
We called them suicide knobs... I had one on one of my old Broncos with manual steering. It was handy due to the steering ratio on a manual steering box. However... when off road and hitting a rut I've had that thing nearly break my wrist jerking the wheel out of my hand. Another thing to consider is the fact that it would hurt you pretty bad if your body contacted the steering wheel in an impact situation.

Edit... I do believe they are now illegal for highway use at least in Michigan... USA

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have one on my truck. We also called them "necker knobs" because you would drive with one hand and hold your gal with the other.

Yes they are a tad dangerous used offroad or mounted in the wrong spot. They should be mounted low on the left or right side so there's less chance of hitting it in a crash.

I use mine because 99.9% of my driving is around town in little neighborhoods and parking lots so it makes taking a billion sharp turns a day slightly easier. If i did a bunch of highway driving only or offroading I would take it off.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Those have been illegal here in PA at least since I started driving. They really aren't safe for use on something that sees the highway.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
check your local/state laws duh. Unless you have a handicap and require it like a missing arm like one of my ol friends I wouldn't bother unless it was for a riding mower.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Ha! Nj actually DOESN'T have a law against them... not often you get to say that about this dumb state! :yahoo:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have them on two of my tractors, they are a godsend for that. Low right side for me.

I don't think they would be as awesome in a car/truck though.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
have that on my allis tractor, manual steering. very helpful, dad has one on his JD “A” also.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I echo Adsm08, they are illegal in PA unless you have a handicap or it isn't a vehicle for on road use. I can see the benefits of one on a tractor but like mentioned above, they can be a detriment if the wheel jerks hard while driving off road. A major reason that people are taught to not wrap their thumbs around the steering wheel when driving off road. Thumbs have been broken or ripped off.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thailand is a rather strange country when it comes to laws and what’s legal or not. Just because they have a lot of them, and in many cases they are completely unlogic but that is not the reason for being strange. The reason is that no one cares about following them and there is no one (as in police) trying to catch those who brake them.

The best example for this has nothing to do with driving but still a huge income for Thailand and (sadly) a reason a lot of people travel here. Prostitution is illegal in Thailand. But if I stick to just driving and write a short list of everything you can NOT get stopped for and/or get a ticket for.

ANY modifications you do on your car, driving on a red traffic light, speeding, driving drunk (there are never any controls), not have a driving license, parking, driving against the traffic on a two lane motorway, having super dark windows so you can’t see who is driving, not have brake lights and still driving at night, have a red/blue flashing light on your car (the same as ambulance) when driving.

So having or not having a knob like this and what the laws say, is of very little concern here....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have one on my truck. We also called them "necker knobs" because you would drive with one hand and hold your gal with the other.

Yes they are a tad dangerous used offroad or mounted in the wrong spot. They should be mounted low on the left or right side so there's less chance of hitting it in a crash.

I use mine because 99.9% of my driving is around town in little neighborhoods and parking lots so it makes taking a billion sharp turns a day slightly easier. If i did a bunch of highway driving only or offroading I would take it off.
If your car has an airbag, I think it should stop any risk of hitting it in a crash. Holding your girl when driving the car sounds extremely stupid with or without one....lol

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't think they are illegal anywhere in the US. There are some OSHA laws specifying if they can or can't be used on some commercial vehicles. But that's it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Hmmmm... Not that I spent a lot of time searching Michigan's motor vehicle code... but a quick Google search says that Michigan doesn't have a law against them. I was always told they were illegal... I think starting with my father.

So dirtman... Your necker knob is for use with your right hand... if you used it for groping your girl... did you make her run along side of your truck?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't think they are illegal anywhere in the US. There are some OSHA laws specifying if they can or can't be used on some commercial vehicles. But that's it.
They are definitely illegal in PA. It's not in the motor vehicle code, it's in the inspection book. The police can't ticket you if they find one, but unless the vehicle is set up for hand controls of the pedals (paralyzed driver) a tractor ball on the steering wheel is a hard fail on the safety inspection.

Now that said, in 10 years of doing inspections I only ran across one vehicle with one, and it was setup for hand controls. Good Lord was that thing a pain to drive with your feet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals