• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is the 4.0 SOHC an interference engine?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I know this is going to be a “duh” type of question for most of you guys....
I have been reading a BUNCH of misleading/confusing info on wether or not the 4.0 SOHC is an interference engine or not.
Can someone/anyone give me a definitive answer wether it is or not ?
I lost all compression in the motor of my wife’s truck and I just need to know if I can do a timing kit, or if I have to get another engine... ? Let me know fellas!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
It is most definitely an interference engine. Jump a tooth on the timing chain and it is all over. Best case is it bent the exhaust valves... worst case gets much much worse.

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It is most definitely an interference engine. Jump a tooth on the timing chain and it is all over. Best case is it bent the exhaust valves... worst case gets much much worse.
Ya that was my fear... the engine only has 140k miles and had no signs or symptoms of weakness. No “clatter” or anything of the such. Just decided to die one day and lost compression... had to get it towed and everything!
Was already planning on a 302 swap but not necessarily this soon.

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
If its a timing issue it should still have compression on one bank. It would be a really strange disaster to have BOTH timing chains fail. :icon_confused:

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
If its a timing issue it should still have compression on one bank. It would be a really strange disaster to have BOTH timing chains fail. :icon_confused:
I will be doing further diagnosing when the snow clears out a bit. It turns over as if all the plugs have been removed... any other reason it would do that? Head gaskets are intact

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Dunno, my experience with the 4.0 SOHC is limited. Just seems odd not having the famous rattle first, and then loosing both chains. :dunno:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I'd do some more diag before you spend a bunch of money, it's unlikely the timing chains would fail suddenly without making noise first.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
You sure the engine is actually spinning and you didn't just shear off the flex plate?

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'd do some more diag before you spend a bunch of money, it's unlikely the timing chains would fail suddenly without making noise first.
That’s what has me confused... I actually own 4 trucks with the 4.0 SOHC ... 1 of which had the rattle and I was able to “save” it by doing a timing kit on it.
Haven’t had one completely fail like this one quite yet...

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You sure the engine is actually spinning and you didn't just shear off the flex plate?
Yes. As I was turning the key I saw the fan turning.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good news is that 4.0l SOHC is barely an interference engine, it is one, for sure, but if the cams stop turning and the pistons don't its rare to get bent valves, and never damaged pistons, outside of a mark
The confusions comes the the 4.0l OHV being NOT an interference engines, and there were used in the same vehicles

Chances are the engine is OK but will need to come out to do the timing chains and "maybe" replace a few valves, IF they hit a piston

Picture here of piston strike in the 4.0l SOHC: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/3dings-jpg.77924/

Valve were bent for sure, but pistons are OK, IMO
Once engine is out, you can do a leak down test on each cylinder to see if valves were damaged

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Good news is that 4.0l SOHC is barely an interference engine, it is one, for sure, but if the cams stop turning and the pistons don't its rare to get bent valves, and never damaged pistons, outside of a mark
The confusions comes the the 4.0l OHV being NOT an interference engines, and there were used in the same vehicles

Chances are the engine is OK but will need to come out to do the timing chains and "maybe" replace a few valves, IF they hit a piston

Picture here of piston strike in the 4.0l SOHC: https://www.explorerforum.com/forums/attachments/3dings-jpg.77924/

Valve were bent for sure, but pistons are OK, IMO
Once engine is out, you can do a leak down test on each cylinder to see if valves were damaged
See that’s the thing .... BARELY being an interference motor and throwing a bunch of parts on a 50/50 chance it will pan out kind of bothers me... I will definitely be tearing into it more as weather permits for sure. My wife is driving my 302 Frankenstein ranger to work right now so it’s all good! ..... for now lol

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, its all just guessing until you open the box at Xmas, lol

You can't "throw parts at it" until its out, and then you will know why it lost compression, so no guessing on whether its worth while to redo just timing chains

North Idaho 5.oh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
True. I’m just going to be ready for anything.... I’ll be pulling it out in the next few days hopefully, and with pics!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals