• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Is a 96 Ranger with a 97 Mountaineer V8 swap EASY?

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 96 Ranger stepside that has the motor & tranny removed..and I have a 97 Mountaineer with the 5.0 wrecked in the rear. Will this be a fairly easy swap? I know I need to cut my drive shaft..and swap the fuel pumps. Any other major obstacles? Let me know what you guys think.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
need engine mounts and dual sump pan, then since the explorer is pats, i would remove you dash and install all of the explorer wiring and what not into the ranger dash, and the explorer steering column into your ranger, guage cluser, airbags, and all

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yeah there's two common ways around the engine mounts - 1) adapt the Explorer mounts to your frame and use them (but realize the motor will sit slightly higher) and keep the stock oil pan or 2) set the engine lower and run a double hump pan.

Your choice on the dash. You can bypass the PATS in the wiring and not have it at all. If you have manual locks, windows, etc there's really no point in wiring all of that in anyway. Your call.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Check the tech library, someone spent a lot of time to lay it all out for you!
'97' Explorer does not have PATS. Wiring the two systems together would be the hard part. Motor mounts, use any made for the Mustang swap along with the dual sump pan. Most of the guys I know of that have done the Explorer swap into the earlier Rangers have swaped back and used the Mustang wiring, ignition and computer.
Dave

Ranger - Explorer Comparisons:

Vehicle Speed Fuel System PATS (Passive Anti Theft System)
1999 - 2001 Explorer ABS/VSS from Rear Axle No Fuel Return Line (Returnless) (56-72 psi) Type B
1998 Explorer VSS in Transmission/Transfer Case Fuel Return Line (35-45 psi) Type B
1996-1997 Explorer VSS in Transmission/Transfer Case Fuel Return Line (35-45 psi) None
2001 - Newer Ranger OSS in Transmission/Transfer Case No Fuel Return Line (Returnless) (56-72 psi) Type E
1999 - 2000 Ranger ABS/VSS from Rear Axle No Fuel Return Line (Returnless) (56-72 psi) Type B (6-Cylinders - None For 4-Cylinders)
1998 Ranger ABS/VSS from Rear Axle No Fuel Return Line (Returnless) (56-72 psi) None

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Luckily I have the entire Mountaineer! I plan on swapping the seering column..but plan on keeping the ranger dash and prolly the wiring..B/c the Ranger has manual windows & locks. Unless I just need to swap the harness...won't be tha much more work if its reccommended. How much higher will the engine sit??? If using the Mountaineer mounts?? Can I still use the Factory hood?

TOPDOG2007

August 2010 STOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What is the difficult wiring issues? Cant I just swap the wiring in the dash to get around any wiring issues? I dont need power windows or locks.. Let me know. Roger

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not having done the earlier Ranger swap using the Explorer motor can't do more than point you in hopefully the right direction. There have been over 20 swaps using the Explorer motor into the pre-98 Rangers, all have converted back to the Mustang computer/wiring. One here at the site is thinking of doing just what you question but don't know which system he has decided on. Might want to check out his posts and maybe PM him with what he sees as the problems.
Dave
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51966

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals