• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittent ABS Warning Light

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley
DId a quick search, but couldn't find anything on this, but like the title says, my '94 had had the ABS light up ocasionally. No rhyme or reason, no pattern. Could be on the whole day, other days it doesn't come on at all. Some days it comes on at start up, and turns off after 15-30 minutes. Load in the bed doesn't matter.

Any ideas on where/what to check?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can unplug rear axle ABS sensor and look at connector to see if its clean inside, then plug back in
Do the same for ABS valve connector, in drivers side frame rail under firewall area.
These are the 2 outside connectors exposed to the elements, so can get corrosion

Unplugging and plugging back in connectors cleans the contacts that have been together for 20+ years

But until a part actually fails thats your best path forward

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Some good first steps in order would be 1) pull sensor out of the rear axle and clean the face; then 2) pull the front rotors and do likewise.
Edit- BRAIN FART. No front sensors on RABS (was thinking of my Explorers); you only have the one sensor in the rear axle. Check the connections like Ron suggested, and consider cleaning the rear axle sensor.
You could get codes from the RABS (a '94 has Rear Antilock) system to get a more specific idea of what faults are occurring, but a common cause for the occasional ABS light being on is dirty pickup sensors. I know that a midwest truck that's seen salt won't be the easiest to wrench on, but just pulling and cleaning the axle sensor would be worth a shot- years of wear in the diff leaves a coating of metal particles on the sensor face which reduces its sensitivity.

Last edited:

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
'Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.' - Michael Stanley
Thanks guys, and yeah, just rear wheel ABS. Pulling apart the connectors is what I was thinking, just not sure how many or where the connectors were. Actually this truck is fairly rust free, so it's not bad to wrench on. I saw the connector on the rear axle when I pulled the bed over the summer to change out the fuel pump, but the front one, it's in the driver's side frame rail under the firewall. Is there a picture anywhere so I know what I'm looking for? I figured I'd put a little silicon grease in the connectors when I pull them apart.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

OldBlue61

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/55R17
My credo
You can sometimes see if from engine bay looking down, but can't reach it, lol
Of course! The story of my life!!

Thanks very much for the help. The pics are great.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals