• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermitten no start problem

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 94 Explorer. Around 220k on the clock. Every now and then it will not start. No warning, it will just crank over. Before I could hit the schrader (sp?) valve on the fuel rail (like I was releasing some of the fuel pressure) and it would fire up. Today it wouldn't. It is getting fuel, just acts like no spark. It only sat for about 10 minutes (ran fine, no sputtering or dogging)anyone else have this problem? Thanks Mark...

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It has to have fuel, fire and air...you have 1 and 3, time to figure out why you have no fire...start checking for spark.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Check along the fender for the starter relay. My '97 had thee same problem, and when I took the relay off one of the tabs completely broke off and disintegrated. There is a wire that goes from the battery and another wire that bolts to the same lug for regular battery power and distribution.

Though admittedly mine also refused to crank. But none the less, rotted connectors are a easy thing to check/replace

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Just for grins, take off the gas cap ,then put it back on and try to start the car.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
Just for grins, take off the gas cap ,then put it back on and try to start the car. Do the dash lights come on when you try to start the engine?

In a 20 yr old car, broken wire ends are a distinct possibility. I gave the starter cable TLC all the way back to the fender. I probably had 4 connections crumble when I moved the harness out of the way. to take out the Wye pipe.

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
New fuel pump relay (I did this when it first started doing this). No loose wires, and I have replaced the coil pack (or whatever its called) and still does it. I was wondering more if a plugged injector or maybe even a bad fuel pressure regulator.

P.S. Didnt do it all day today. Like I say really random type of thing going on.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals