• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Intermittant knocking and loss of traction in 4WD

M6F

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Transmission
Manual
Hi, first time poster.

I have a '07 Ranger Sport 4wd and i live up a snowy mountain in BC so i have to use the 4wd often in the winter, however when i do a semi dangerous problem occours.

In 2wd the truck drives totally fine but when i put it in 4wd and am accelerating uphill there is an occasional knock from somewhere in the transmission which causes the rear wheels to briefly lose traction and slide out. This is a real problem in the snow, i nearly skidded off the road a couple of nights ago. It doesn't happen on the flat or when i'm pulling away, just accelerating uphill and sometimes coasting downhill. I'm at a loss as to what it might be. I'm going to try to take it to a garage next week but was hoping someone here might have an idea as to what it might be.

I already checked the UJ's and there doesn't seem to be any play in them.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Manual or Automatic transmission?

Look on drivers door, back edge, for your Rangers Build Label, this is specific to this vehicle
At the bottom look for the code number under AXLE

Go here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

If you have an L/S(limited slip) rear axle then its time for new clutch packs in the differential, but this would have nothing to do with 2WD or 4WD setting in transfer case

As for 4WD part, it could be the shift motor is not moving the transfer case fully into 4H, or 4L

When you can, shift transfer case into 4high and turn off key
Get under the truck and remove the shift motor, 3 or 4 bolts
The triangle point of shift rod should be pointed exactly at 4H

Look at the pictures here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/rebuilding-a-ford-transfer-case-shift-motor/

picture 4 shows the shift rod pointed exactly at 2H(2WD), yours should be pointed at 4H
its possible the shift motor is not moving the shift rod fully into 4H
In picture 1 you can see the 3 torx screws holding down the 5 wire "cap", under that cap is the contact plate and contacts that "tells" the 4x4 controller when shift motor is in the correct position for 2H, 4H and 4L
But there are NO sensors in the transfer case to confirm that, lol

And that "cap" can be adjusted, turned a little, which would then turn shift rod farther one way or the other, to get shift rod pointed exactly at 4H, or 4L as needed

M6F

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Manual or Automatic transmission?

Look on drivers door, back edge, for your Rangers Build Label, this is specific to this vehicle
At the bottom look for the code number under AXLE

Go here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/axle_codes.shtml

If you have an L/S(limited slip) rear axle then its time for new clutch packs in the differential, but this would have nothing to do with 2WD or 4WD setting in transfer case

As for 4WD part, it could be the shift motor is not moving the transfer case fully into 4H, or 4L

When you can, shift transfer case into 4high and turn off key
Get under the truck and remove the shift motor, 3 or 4 bolts
The triangle point of shift rod should be pointed exactly at 4H

Look at the pictures here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/rebuilding-a-ford-transfer-case-shift-motor/

picture 4 shows the shift rod pointed exactly at 2H(2WD), yours should be pointed at 4H
its possible the shift motor is not moving the shift rod fully into 4H
In picture 1 you can see the 3 torx screws holding down the 5 wire "cap", under that cap is the contact plate and contacts that "tells" the 4x4 controller when shift motor is in the correct position for 2H, 4H and 4L
But there are NO sensors in the transfer case to confirm that, lol

And that "cap" can be adjusted, turned a little, which would then turn shift rod farther one way or the other, to get shift rod pointed exactly at 4H, or 4L as needed
It's a manual. Thanks for the info, i'm pretty sure it's not a limited slip axle, if i'm in 2wd the rear inside spins up too easily when pulling away on slippery surfaces, but i'll take a look anyway.

I'll see if i can gather up some tools to try rebuild the motor. Thanks!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Don't need to rebuild the shift motor, just check if its shifting transfer case into correct position

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
something to note: the position of the pointer on the shaft is only an indication of what gear/mode the transfer case is supposed to be in.
it does not necessarily mean the mechanism inside the case actually & fully changed to the selected gear.

the shaft puts pressure on a spring, the spring turns a cam, the cam moves the shift fork(s), the forks move the collar(s) that engages the selected mode.

M6F

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Transmission
Manual
Got it, thanks

M6F

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Transmission
Manual
So i took the motor off and the shift arm was pointing slightly to the left of the 4H so i take it this isn't right. I tried loosening the cap to adjust the motor but all 3 screws were seized and very soft so i can't get them undone

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It needs to be pointed right at 2H, 4H or 4L to be correct, so no not correct

If you can't get another one easily, drill out the 3 screws and replace with self tapping screws so you can make the adjustment if that's all you think it needs

Once that cap is off you can inspect the contact plate, maybe its corroded and causing the misalignment

Be sure to mark stuff as you remove it, or take lots of pictures as you go, lol

M6F

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Transmission
Manual
Figured i should update this. Tried a new motor as the old one was rusted out and not selecting 4H properly but it didn't make any difference. Talked to a transmission place in town and they said the rebuild cost would be in the thousands so they ordered a used, low mileage case from a wreckers for me and bench tested it to make sure it was all good. I swapped it out and it's all good again. Makes driving in the snow a lot less terrifying when you have 4wd. Thanks for the help

DILLARD000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2001 Ford
Make / Model
SportTracJob2
Engine Size
V6~4.0L~SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good that you've got it fixed. Curious; was this a 1354 TransferCase ?
No spec for Engine\Tranny\TransferCase... in your Profile\Signature\Post...
The rear diff spec should be on the DoorFrameLabel or DiffCoverTag.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site. Glad your issue got solved.

M6F

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Sport
Transmission
Manual
Good that you've got it fixed. Curious; was this a 1354 TransferCase ?
No spec for Engine\Tranny\TransferCase... in your Profile\Signature\Post...
The rear diff spec should be on the DoorFrameLabel or DiffCoverTag.
Yeah it was a BW1354

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals