• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Inner fenders for fiberglass fenders

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
For those of you who have added fiberglass front fenders to your truck, you already know there aren't many options for replacing the inner fenders, and relocation of the airbox, wiring, and ignition coil is required.

I drive my truck in the winter a lot, and My door hinges are rusty enough as is without my tires blasting them with snow and salt. Inner fenders may not be a necessity for most, but they were for me. So, I thought I would share my solution in case there were others in the same boat.

Here is the truck with the new fenders & old inner fenders.
[/URL][/IMG]

not a chance that these could even be modified to reach the edge of the new fenders.

I started by making a paper template

notice the two bolts in the middle, these were the original mounts for the old inner fenders. they work well as a reference point.

Next I purchased a 4X8 sheet of 1/8" thick ABS. I found it for $45 and ended up using a little more than half of it. I traced the template onto the ABS and used tin snips to cut. it worked pretty well, but I did get some pretty good arm pump by the end.

I made sure to cut the ABS a little bigger than needed. its always easier to cut more. I also intentionally cut the plastic to stick out past the fender a little to protect the fiberglass from anything the tire may kick up.

Fiberglass fenders don't come with much of a lip, and can be a bit fragile. However, there was enough lip to handle an 8-32 fastener. I used 10 of them on each fender to distribute the load, and to make sure the plastic conformed to the shape of the fender.

I bolted the ABS into place using the two bolts referenced above. this held the ABS in place while I drilled and fastened it to the fender.

not much room for error here.

The lip on the fender is not flat, and the top of the bolts can not be reached. I had to make my own T-bolts by welting 3/16 rod to the head of an 8-32 screw. There is probably something like this available somewhere, but I already had the materials and a welder.

once everything was bolted in place, I used a torch (a head gun would have been better) to soften the plastic in areas where I needed to mold it around the structure underneath ABS heat molds very easy, once warm I used pieces of wood to push the plastic into place. I held it there until the plastic cooled, and the finished product had a very factory look to it. Still needs some final trimming on the plastic, and the bolts can all be cut short. with some drilling The factory airbox , coil, and wiring went back in their original locations, and the inner fenders appear to be as robust as the originals.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i do it and have done it a bunch if different ways over the years. cutting up fullsize stuff from gm trucks and cars even...

though i would have made ones you have there floating in this case and not fastened them to the fender lip.

awesome job with it though.!

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Very nice write up. I have the 3" cut out/3" flare fiberglass fronts and never bothered with the inner fender. Makes me kinda think on doing this...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals