• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Im stumped...please inspire me!

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
He should have magnafluxed both of the heads to make sure there wasn't any cracks. The 4.0 heads like to crack in between the intake and exhaust valves. After making sure they weren't cracked, he should have checked the valve seals. If he didn't test the seals then there's no way he knew whether they were good or not.
Yeah he did magnaflux the heads. So, would I have to buy the upper gasket kit again plus the valve seals for the job?

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did you replace ALL of the gaskets when you put it back together? IE gaskets in between the upper/lower intakes, gasket in between the fuel rail and lower intake, fuel injector o-rings? Stuff like that? If so i'd say just leave those gaskets alone and just replace the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and definately valve seals.

The valve seals came in the gasket set I bought. It was like $156 from AutoZone.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you replace ALL of the gaskets when you put it back together? IE gaskets in between the upper/lower intakes, gasket in between the fuel rail and lower intake, fuel injector o-rings? Stuff like that? If so i'd say just leave those gaskets alone and just replace the head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, and definately valve seals.

The valve seals came in the gasket set I bought. It was like $156 from AutoZone.
I really dont know what he replaced. I just took the truck to the mechanic and he did the rest. But i am going to talk to him about this, for sure. Hey Tom, do u know long could I keep driving the truck like this and keep adding oil?:icon_confused: I need to leave my bank account alone for a while, if u know what i mean...:bawling:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I really dont know what he replaced. I just took the truck to the mechanic and he did the rest. But i am going to talk to him about this, for sure. Hey Tom, do u know long could I keep driving the truck like this and keep adding oil?:icon_confused: I need to leave my bank account alone for a while, if u know what i mean...:bawling:
I'm not too sure really. The only reason I can comment on the matter is because i'm in the process of putting my 4.0 back together. I don't take a camera to the shop with me so I haven't taken any pictures. I have access to AllData so I have a step by step process of putting everything back together with torque specs and all...

I know that I personally have cleaned everything I removed to look brand new and replaced each and every gasket or o-ring whether they looked good or not.

Big Jim has been on the money and could probably go more indepth than I. When I bought the truck I trailered it the shop and got to work, I still haven't put tags on it or registered it.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Howdy 96 What I'd do if I had an engine that was new to me.. I'd get me another set of heads with TIGHT guides and new seals. I'd clean em up and when I had time I'd take a day and install em myself.

You didn't post having done a compression check. With that damn K&N filter on there that would be one important thing to do right away...just to make sure the compression is good enough to put new heads on.

Big JIm

Mosinman76254

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, 1995
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Cologne 2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Was there ever a compression check done on this motor?

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Like i said guys. I dont really know what the mechanic did or didnt do. He gave it back to me running, but it was a mistake taking the truck with out any info. This is the 1st truck ive had to fix the engine, so ill learn from my mistakes. Ill try and go ask him for some info. But my concern right know is if i can keep driving the truck like it is?
I poured a Lucas Oil Stabilizer additive and it did help alot... but im not relaxed knowing that something could happen to the motor. Also, the truck does not smoke at ALL. Ive had somebody started while engine was cold and I starred at the exhaust tip and nothing came out, not even if reved up. Im confused. Thanx in advance!!

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy 96 What I'd do if I had an engine that was new to me.. I'd get me another set of heads with TIGHT guides and new seals. I'd clean em up and when I had time I'd take a day and install em myself.

You didn't post having done a compression check. With that damn K&N filter on there that would be one important thing to do right away...just to make sure the compression is good enough to put new heads on.

Big JIm
Hey Jim, thanx for the reply. Ive heard alot of comotion about these K&N filters. I figure it would be harmfull on dusty/offroad driving, how about highway/city? Would u recommend getting regular filter on my '99?, since I work in the Oil Fields EVERYTHING is dusty the roads/locations. I prolly should right?

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals