• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Idle Problems...help please

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Well my friend has a 2000 Ford Ranger. 2.5L. We are having a pretty big idle problem with the truck and can't seem to figure out what it is. When you rev the engine or say the RPMs are up when driving and let off/put in the clutch whatever, just for it to idle back down everytime it holds whatever RPM it was at for anywhere from 5-10 seconds. before it slowly creaps back down to normal.

not throwing any codes of any kind. even just tried scanning the Cpu to see if something was hidden. We did routine maintenance cuz it was needed (plugs, wires, coil packs). Then my truck recently slung a rod (98 model, same engine) and I had recently changed the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) and the IAC Valve (Idle Air Control). So we put them on his truck since they were fairly new to see if any change would happen. No change nothing. Everything was still the same.

Any ideas what the problem might be? We are completely baffled

marc11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is normal. You'll notice it is speed dep too. If you are coasting with the clutch in the idle will hold for as long as you coast. Once you come to a stop it will drop down. Also, if you let off the gas and keep the clutch out the RPM will drop with engine speed, the computer is not holding the idle up while driving, just between shifts/when the clutch is in while the truck is moving.

Lots of topics on it. Not sure why this is set up this way, but I suspect it is to make smoother shifts and or reduce the truck jerking/bucking when a noob takes so long to shift the RPM's drop too fast.

PaleBlue90

Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3,2.9 and 4.0
Transmission
Manual
ive never heard of that:icon_confused:

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Well they have had the truck for about 2 years now. I've drove it numerous times. It has never done it before until the past 3-4 months.

I've never heard of that being normal either, kinda weird if it really is

marc11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Search this site for hanging RPM or hanging idle or search the net. There are tons of discussions on this topic. I've had my truck for three months and JUST NOW noticed it this week, did a search and boom, lots of talk on it. It is normal.

Read this and follow the links within the thread too:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12605

Last edited:

Rembrandt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.5L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks alot Marc. That link helped alot. Kinda dumb how that is a normal problem. We might experiment with some restrictor plates like many people are saying fixes the problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals