• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I6 swapped b2

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
Also, slightly modified Cleveland heads on a 302 was a Boss 302.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
You sure it was only 77+?

Cause i know some guys have to do that with 289 heads when they run them on a 351....or did the 289 and 302 share different bolt diameters?
They will of course bolt on all years. Didn't the 351w have a extra bolt hole or something on the intake in the early years? But they have all been related since the 351w came out, but having different style chambers and minor differences with valve sizes and such. But after 77 they are EXACTLY the same head except for the bolt hole size. Same chamber style, same valve sizes.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
They will of course bolt on all years. Didn't the 351w have a extra bolt hole or something on the intake in the early years? But they have all been related since the 351w came out, but having different style chambers and minor differences with valve sizes and such. But after 77 they are EXACTLY the same head except for the bolt hole size. Same chamber style, same valve sizes.
I know there all interchangable i was just wondering about the bolt hole diameter.

How early are you talking? I havent been around anything older then 74 or 75 in alotta years.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Apparently the intake thing was around 1974. Earlier intakes had 16 bolt holes, the later ones had 12. Here's a link.

They also mention differences in the intake gaskets. I ran into that with a later model 302. I got a full engine gasket set for a 302 and it had two sets of gaskets in it. I put a 1968 4bbl intake on a 1986 302 block, and had to test which ones would work. There was definitely a difference and one set would have leaked in that application.

Brian Rhoades

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I went v-belt this time and bought a shorty water pump. It was a pita because I had to buy a pully & bracket kit to make it work. Even then I had to make my own power steering bracket. Then I used a swap radiator that tucked into the core support and electric fan.

The time before I did the swap it was easy because I bought a complete HO engine with accessories. Swap headers, swap radiator, and remote oil filter kit. I used a small block c6 & an np205 T-case. It was a snap with a body lift, everything fit like a glove.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals