• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

i went to ford the other week

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
so i went to ford the other week to ask them a couple questions, first of all i have 2001 3.0 2wd manual trans. i asked them why on all the diagrams i see, online and in my hanyes manual, the spark plug wires on my truck are rotated 180degrees from what the diagrams say. 123 are supposed to be on the passenger side, mine are on the driver side on the coil. same with 456, they're on the passenger side instead of the driver side. and they said they could get me a diagram and they didnt. they even brought their "engine" guy over and he told me, if it runs fine, dont mess with it. next i asked them about this odd misfire i had that went away and if it could be related to my cam synchro..... the "engine" guy told me, the cam pos sensor has nothing to do with my timing:shok::icon_rofl::annoyed::bsflag: wtf? he said it was all off the crank sensor. bullshit. i asked a toyota master tech and he said you have to have a cam sensor for ingnition timing or else you wont know when cylinder #1 is at tdc. so i asked the ford tech what the cam sensor does, i said tell me what it does... he said "i dont know" told me if it runs fine now then i wouldnt worry and walked off.
if you are ever in bakersfield, dont go to jim burke ford on oak st. or expect this. i couldnt believe it.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
it runs fine because your ignition is a waste spark system.. 2 spark plugs connected to 1 coil that fires both at the same time..

the crank sensor tells the computer when the pistons are at TDC, the cam sensor tells the computer which cylinder will have its intake valve open next so it can fire the correct injector and coil

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
it runs fine because your ignition is a waste spark system.. 2 spark plugs connected to 1 coil that fires both at the same time..

the crank sensor tells the computer when the pistons are at TDC, the cam sensor tells the computer which cylinder will have its intake valve open next so it can fire the correct injector and coil
yea but we switched the plugs around to where they say to go on the diagram and the truck wouldnt start...so idk. i'd like a ford diagram. i might have to look deeper into and go to a different ford and ask for a diagram

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
On Ford v6's the #1 cylinder is on the passenger side. Followed by 2 and 3. The front cylinder on the drivers side is 4, followed by 5 and 6.

The coil pack usually has the plugs numbered. If it runs and starts....leave it alone.

The Crank position sensor is what ignition timing is based off of. The CPS reads the teeth on the pulley.

The Cam position sensor is what makes SFI possible. The PCM uses it to determine when to fire the fuel injector for a particular cylinder.

Random misfires every once in a while is normal for an engine. It's when it's constant and/or a dead miss that it becomes a real problem and sets a CEL.

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
On Ford v6's the #1 cylinder is on the passenger side. Followed by 2 and 3. The front cylinder on the drivers side is 4, followed by 5 and 6.

The coil pack usually has the plugs numbered. If it runs and starts....leave it alone.

The Crank position sensor is what ignition timing is based off of. The CPS reads the teeth on the pulley.

The Cam position sensor is what makes SFI possible. The PCM uses it to determine when to fire the fuel injector for a particular cylinder.

Random misfires every once in a while is normal for an engine. It's when it's constant and/or a dead miss that it becomes a real problem and sets a CEL.
i know which cylinders are which. thats not my problem. my issue is that my coil pack isn't numbered. and according to where my spark plugs are going... they're all rotated on the coil pack in 180degrees
according to this diagram, the placement of my wires is wrong. 1 is where 4 is, 2 is where 6 is, and 3 is where 5 is on my coil. so unless the diagrams are wrong... then idk.

and this wasnt a random misfire. it was a hard hittin miss. it wasnt every now and then, you really felt it. but it went away for now. i think im gonna throw some new sensors at it, it cant hurt to put a new crank sensor, cam syncro and ignition system on it. im still undecided about whether im going to get the davis unified ignition or go to ford part though. but im gonna start with a few sensors. cant hurt anything right?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I am a little confused.........but first you will not get anyone around here agreeing thatthrowing parts is the answer. "DX then replace". something does seem weird with your spark plug wiring.......how long have you owned the truck?

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
i've had the truck 3 years. i got it with 83k and it has 120k now. i replaced the synchronizer at 98k with the autozone one.(thats the main reason i want to replace it) but the throwing parts at it is just, i want to replace the synchro because its not a ford one and the crank sensor it like less than $50. so i wasnt too worried about how much they were. and i went on paint and did a little rotating and this is what i made
this is the way my spark plugs are connected in my truck. this is the original diagram
the 2nd picture is what i've seen everywhere for my truck. and my dad tried putting the wires on this way and the truck wouldnt start. it runs fine and strong the way it is, and i've never had a misfire problem before. i hope those pics help

Attachments

Twizzler09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.2L/256CI V6
Transmission
Manual
Did someone install the coil backwards? :dunno:

Don't even know if that is possible, LOL!

cush

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Scion
Engine Size
2.4L 4banger
Transmission
Manual
Did someone install the coil backwards? :dunno:

Don't even know if that is possible, LOL!
nope, i've put it in. twice actually. it only goes on one way. but i wouldnt put it past some people to try it lol

This is the diagram in my FSM, and the way mine is wired.
hmm well i guess its okay then. the haynes manual says different. and when i went to ford they said they would look it up for me, but they didnt.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals