• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I need help understanding this. Please, Shed some light on it for me.

8thTon

--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
My world is filled with stuff that needs to be fixed
I am here to tell you I converted my 2,8 to a duraspark II with a HEI ignition module, but left the feedback carb in place and it runs beautifully. I am getting 17 mpg which I thought would be a little better than that. Probably was with the computer hooked up. But I have no hesitations or any other problems, and it idles very smooth.

I take that back, I do have one minor problem. When it starts cold, I set the choke and it starts right up and idles fast. After it runs for a few minutes, if I touch the throttle it will drop all the way down to the regular idle speed. This is too slow when the engine is not fully warmed up yet, and it will want to chug and quit.

I found out the electronic carb only has one step on the fast idle cam. After that, the idle control motor and the computer controlled the idle speed. Of course I do not have any of that now. I haven't looked at it very close, but I may be able to rob a regular fast idle cam and retro fit it to my electronic carb.

I was eyeballing those china knock off carbs on Amazon. You can't beat the price, but reading this thread I am glad I did not try one. They all say they are for the larger engines, so they probably have the larger venturi's. I think our original 2.8 carbs have the smallest venturi size they made for the 2150?
The feedback system of the 2150 uses a solenoid valve to bleed air into the idle and main air bleed passages. The solenoid valve is probably closed when it's de-energized, so your mixture likely gets too rich at higher rpm but not enough to be really obvious. You should look for a non-feedback version of the carb and I bet it will run better. Given you have it running now you have time to look for a good deal.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
You are right, I found this one. Curious they list it for a 351 and 400 engine. It only flows 287cfm.

This is the one I was talking about.

Its a 1.08 but after shipping (For me) itd be around 150 even.

This one is like the one I have but I got mine off amazon since it was with Prime... I needed it fast.
So, If you were to get this one youd have to change out a few screws and bend the throttle plate (The idle speed screw and youd have to bend the part the screw touches back a bit so it can meet quicker. Because the screw it comes with is to short and you need to bend it back for really any screw to meet it.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Too bad they do not list the "China" part number for these things. There would not be much difference between the one you linked and the one I linked would it? Who knows how they build these things though. Do they put the same sized jets in all 1.08 venturi carbs? Looks like most all of them have full electric chokes. And you can hook the hot air up optionally if you want.

What amazes me with the carb I have, I put a little chrome aircleaner on it, and now it "talks" to me when I get down on it :) I was prepared for it being balky and cold natured, each time I put a chrome air cleaner on a 4bbl holley on a v8, I get carb freeze up problems, the throttle will actually stick sometimes during cold rainy weather. I usually have to go back to the stock aircleaner and hook up the heat stove pipe to the snorkel. But have not had any of those problems with this engine.

If I free up the intake and the exhaust, I wonder if the being a little bit rich would help me in the power department.

MadMax_636

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
However much it goes up when I get my fat ass out.
Total Drop
How much it goes down when my fat ass gets in.
Tire Size
Dry rot and old
Too bad they do not list the "China" part number for these things. There would not be much difference between the one you linked and the one I linked would it? Who knows how they build these things though. Do they put the same sized jets in all 1.08 venturi carbs? Looks like most all of them have full electric chokes. And you can hook the hot air up optionally if you want.

What amazes me with the carb I have, I put a little chrome air cleaner on it, and now it "talks" to me when I get down on it :) I was prepared for it being balky and cold natured, each time I put a chrome air cleaner on a 4bbl holley on a v8, I get carb freeze up problems, the throttle will actually stick sometimes during cold rainy weather. I usually have to go back to the stock aircleaner and hook up the heat stove pipe to the snorkel. But have not had any of those problems with this engine.

If I free up the intake and the exhaust, I wonder if the being a little bit rich would help me in the power department.
Ive got one from amazon that costs around 90 bucks. The construction is pretty good. The gaskets are ok, I replaced mine with ones from a rebuild kit.

Some of the screws are useless (Idle set screw) I converted the choke to hot air from original carb.

The jets were small. Like a 40 something. I upjetted mine to a 52. Ive had to set the chock pretty tight/closed with it being cold and thinner air.

I can set photos of what my carb looks like on the inside. Its got quality components. You can also shift parts from your old carb is stuff on the new one is crap.

Stock MC jets fit perfectly. I might be ordering more (Bigger jets) just incase I need to richen it.

The only thing I don't like is that it comes with a kick down for automatics. Its not easy to remove either. You also need to get a stronger return spring as the one it has is as weak as a stick. So Ive had mine stick a few times. Mine also didnt come with the ball joint for mounting my throttle cable.
I bought both from a local auto parts store. Cheap but Shouldn't have needed to do that.

Im sure they aren't all like that.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals